Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back wheel sprocket bolts

Hello
    Does anyone know the correct size of the rear sprocket bolts for a 1961 25DC. The heads on mine seem to foul the dust cover and measure .500 inch across the flats.
    Regards
    Terry Clarke
    Last edited by terryw; 13/10/2015, 11:01 PM.

Back wheel sprocket bolts

Hi.Terry, I have restored both a 25 and 32 DCs. the bolts in question have reduced heads, Mine was purchased from Bulldog Stainless in Doncaster Tel.01302 330188. Their Ref.DD2a with Nyloc nuts Ref.156. A few years ago but perhaps worth a phone call. Good luck. Les.

Comment

Sprocket Bolts.

Hi Terry,

These reduced head sprocket bolts were common to several Greeves models, and if you have a look at this thread (http://greeves-riders.org.uk/forums/...ead.php?t=4738 ;POST #4 - PIC 5) you'll see the roadster parts book posted there lists them as being 5/16" BSC 3/4" (x5 of.)

I've always found Discount Stainless to be a good source of fasteners; http://www.discountstainless1.webspace.virginmedia.com/

Hope this helps and good hunting.

Brian.

Comment

Sprocket bolts

These bolts would originally have been made in high tensile steel so really that is what you should be fitting. Stainless grades can vary, some being low tensile for non stressed applications. If you do use stainless you need a high tensile grade.

Comment

Stainless bolt grades....

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
          If you do use stainless you need a high tensile grade.
          I'd have thought that would be obvious.......

For the record, I've always been happy to use 316 grade stainless for load bearing applications and A2 stainless for non-load bearing applications.

316 is the spec used by 'Pro-bolt' for their disc rotor bolts and having used them for many many miles (enough to have worn the original discs out) on my Yamaha Fazer Thou road bike with no failures, I would assume this grade would be more than up to the output of a Villiers single/twin.

Brian.

Comment

Sprocket bolts

HI
            Thank you Les. Brian and John that explains why my 5/16 bolts were fouling the dust cover. I will try and source the correct size.
            Terry

Comment

Working...
            X