25dc paddle hub and wheel rim query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25dc paddle hub and wheel rim query

Hello. I am in the process of replacing the rims and spokes on my 25DC. Looking at the front wheel I've noticed that the paddle hub castings centers do not line up with the hub spoke holes so the query is, can the casting be moved on the hub? I assume this is a press fit. If it can be removed it would make painting of the hub easier.
    The second query is about the rim spoke holes. My existing rims have the spoke holes in patterns of four, one on the right nearest the paddle hubs and the next three on the left. Does anyone Know if this is correct.
    Regards Terry Clarke

25DC paddle hub and rim query

Hi. I have had no replies on my above query and could really do with some advice. Is there anyone out there on the forum who could advise or point me in the right direction.
    Hope to keep improving my Greeves as well as riding it so might be a slow process.
    Terry

Comment

Paddle Hubs

Terry I know little about the paddle hubs even less about spokeing them up. But I would think they are shrink onto the steel hubs. Strange that no one else has replied as these were fitted to the scrambles & trials bikes as well as roadsters.

Comment

paddle hubs

stuart baskill was very help full as i only had the hubs I 'm pretty sure the paddles are cast on and it would be detrimental to try and move them as they will be very fragile. I have my hubs with Charlies motorcycles of bristol at present being rebuilt he charges £90per wheel plus parts.saves a lot of saw nuckles and blue air trying to true them up. you could give him a call his contact no is 01179517609 if that helps good luck mike

Comment

paddle hubs

I am shortly going to repair a paddle hub as at some point in time someone has tried to remove it and in so doing has cracked the aluminium casting.
          As i understand from a little research they were indeed pressed on to the steel hub so hopefully whith the appliance of science, it should be possible to remove and repair it then replace it.
          I shall report my endeavours.

Comment

Paddle Hubs Info.

If you click the 'search' tab (to the right of new posts on the 'tool bar' at the top of the page) and type 'paddle hubs' into the box that opens up, all threads containing references to paddle hubs on the forum will be shown. You have the option to search 'threads' or 'posts'.

By searching 'threads' (it will be set to this option automatically), this is what comes up; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...earchid=134916

I would direct you to this thread however for the most relevant info in respect of your questions Terry, (http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ht=paddle+hubs), where I also posted some factory drawings of the shrunk-on 'alloy muffs' together with some reference pics on post #8 in order to try and offer Stuart Baskill some additional info in response to his query.

Sometimes, in my experience, queries may not get answered because the topic has already been covered to a large degree, which is why it's always worth trying a 'search' before posting a query. You may well find the answers you are looking for are all ready on here. If not, then you still have the option to post a query anyway, of course.

Finally, forum members may be put off from offering information if their efforts to share what they know or have researched in order to help their fellow enthusiasts, are referred to as 'mis-information'.....Any info freely offered on the forum in good faith that may be inaccurate in some way is usually corrected, but surely the onus is on the individual member to do as much research as they can before embarking on anything, especially before parting with money or damaging a rare part. This is why the GRA offers a standard disclaimer for the forum, much as it does for info published in 'LL'.

Anyway Terry, good luck with your hub(s), and I hope this post will provide you some additional help with your enquiries.

Brian.
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 23/02/2015, 09:26 AM. Reason: Links attached.

Comment

We need the definitive advice here. To my thinking, these components are fairly fragile and would not like to be separated by press. If they were shrunk on, I think pressing would destroy both parts. If pressed there would have been a danger of separation when the alloy heated under braking.....if that's possible with Greeves brakes!

Comment

Paddle hubs

Sound advice indeed. With a foundry at their disposal, the Greeves team created a unique design that enhanced the tin hub as we have come to know them. The ability to dissipate heat and add additional rigidity was a winner.

I guess a cracked paddle hub is essentially scrap. A repair by welding may achieve a cosmetic finish. However, once the bond created in the casting process is lost the only alternative is to return it to it's original tin hub status.

Was the cracking caused by trying to remove the casting?

Comment

Paddle hubs

First a thank you to everyone who replied to my post, good to know there is help out on the forum
                  Brian, I had searched the forum and found the very useful drawings of paddle hubs and British hubs but was still unsure if the paddle casting could be removed from the hub, the front one looks as if it has moved at some time in it's life because the spoke holes do not line up with the middle of the paddle blades, unless it was like this from new.
                  From what has been said I will try to build, or have built my wheels without risking trying to move the paddle on the hub.
                  Thanks again
                  Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X