25DB exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25DB exhaust

My new 25DB has twin exhaust pipes, which I believe is wrong in that it should have a siamesed system into one silencer. It goes very well, and looks fine, but I don't want to offend the purists! Can anyone give me any info. on the exhaust system, such as.....were any bikes produced with twin pipes?/would reducing the system to siamesed also reduce the performance?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

The DCX, 25DD Essex & 25 DC East Coaster all had twin pipe & silencers. Yours should have siamese but quite frankly if the exhuasts are in good condition I would leave them, they are known to give better performance. Sod the purists its your bike.

Comment

Yes Frank, the 25DB was originally produced with a siamesed exhaust. However I agree with John, separate systems make much more sense on a two stroke where exhaust back pressure timing is so important.

You'd have a heck of a job to find the siamesed downpipes anyway; I should stick with the twin exhausts - provided the kickstart doesn't clobber the pipe...
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks, chaps

for the prompt replies. I have to say that I am pleased by what you both say - the bike looks great with the twin pipes, goes like smoke (or should that be smokes and goes?) and there are no issues with the fit or with the kickstart. I'm keeping it like it is, and will ignore any rivet-counters who happen along. I want to ride this bike, not put it on a stand in the living-room.

All the best,

Frank

Comment

Good for you Frank, that's the spirit!

Comment

Most of the rivet counters would not know any way. Greeves were well known for 'mix & match' so could well have turned out a few 25DC Sports Twins with twin exhausts.

Comment

That's an excellent point John, and one very true of many other classic bike marques as well, I'm sure...!

That's one of the nice things about Greeves though in my view, and these were effectively 'hand built' machines after all! It's like they all have their own individual personality, which is part of what makes them all special in my view (everyone say ahhh! )

I reckon if it looks (and works!) right, it is right! Enjoy your bike Frank!

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                That's an excellent point John, and one very true of many other classic bike marques as well, I'm sure...!

That's one of the nice things about Greeves though in my view, and these were effectively 'hand built' machines after all! It's like they all have their own individual personality, which is part of what makes them all special in my view (everyone say ahhh! )

I reckon if it looks (and works!) right, it is right! Enjoy your bike Frank!

Brian.
                I had a 2 into 1 exhaust from Armours of Bournmouth and it sounded great but I wouldnt bother changing yours as they were not cheap.

Comment

Working...
                X