Centre stand finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centre stand finish

The feet on my roadster centre stand were badly worn and were not supporting the bike properly on a level surface, I thought that I would build them up with the arc welder only to find that it had been galvanised, is this the correct finish?
    I have an MDS that has a galvanised engine cradle.
    Cheers Pete from the Antipodes

Originally posted by hawkie197 View Post
    The feet on my roadster centre stand were badly worn and were not supporting the bike properly on a level surface, I thought that I would build them up with the arc welder only to find that it had been galvanised, is this the correct finish?
    I have an MDS that has a galvanised engine cradle.
    Cheers Pete from the Antipodes
    #
    Just grind the galvanising away before you weld otherwise it will spatter. Might be best to weld on some new feet to give a bit more lift.

Comment

I've never seen a reference to Greeves using galvanising, and certainly my 32DC stand hasn't been so treated, just painted.

I had the same problem with worn "feet" on the stand making things a bit wobbly. I simply bolted on a couple of rectangular plates the same size as the feet, and with the bolt heads countersunk. That way the plates are sacrificial and can readily be renewed when they wear.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Galvanisationing.................

Seen plenty of cradle assemblies galvanised. As to whether this was a factory spec I have no idea. Perhaps a cradle assembly drawing will yield an answer??

Comment

I thought that the cradle plates and the centre stand were zinc plated. As were most of the spacers?

Keith

Comment

You can`t really answer that can you.................... but i will...galvanising is a process of of applying a protective coating of zinc over steel or iron, to prevent corrosion.....

Comment

So why don't they call it Zincanising then?

Comment

So as people like you don`t get confused....

Comment

Here's me thinking I'd get the low-down on galvanic deposition.......

Comment

Galvanised or Zinc plated

Thanks John, Colin,Phil, Keith, Dave and Brian for your imput, the finish on my MD not MDS cradle is definately galvanising because of the silver crystalline apearance.
                    As to what the centre stand is finished in, when I welded it, it was the same as welding galvanised pipe with the yellowish oxide produced, but it doesn't look like galvanising, so Keith must be right in that it is zinc plated, it doesn't chip off, in fact it is very difficult to remove . Cheers Pete from the Antipodes

Comment

Greeves' initial preparation of steel components before painting was called "Bonderising" - although what it actually consisted of I'm not altogether sure.
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                        Greeves' initial preparation of steel components before painting was called "Bonderising" - although what it actually consisted of I'm not altogether sure.
                        This would appear to answer your question Colin http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bonderising

Comment

Hi hawkie, galvanizing is the process, zinc is the protective coating....

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                            Hi hawkie, galvanizing is the process, zinc is the protective coating....
                            It's interesting, it seems that the term galvanising is out of fashion. All the stuff I designed for decades was always quoted as BZP or Zinc plating.
                            Same thing tho'. Grind it off and weld away .....
                            Keith

Comment

Centre stand correct finish?

Hi all, I asked Rob Thornton to try and confirm the correct finish from the factory drawings, it appears that early stands are painted and the later stands are in fact galvanised, he is still trying to determine the change over date.
                              As to the different processes, zinc plating is applied in a plating bath similar to chrome plating, where as with hot dipped galvanising the articles are immersed in a bath of molten zinc. Cheers Pete from the Antipodes.

Comment

Working...
                              X