Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25DB & 32DB electrics

Hi all,
    I have ,for some time , been wrestling with charging problems on both bikes.
    I prefer having the headlight on at all times,but find the battery gets flattened after about 30 miles.(It is charged OK when run without headlight on) The PO fitted one of the dreaded replica switches which were the subject of lengthy discussion further down in Sept and also linked back to previous threads, all of which I have read.
    As the correct switch appears to be unobtainable and as I would like to fit LED's to pilot and stop/tail to help, can the "Sparks" among you advise on the wisdom of my suggestion- that is to take the AC wire going to the light switch (in my case Yellow-as shown in Villiers wiring diagram) and add it to the wires on the rectifier, so that way all current from the alternator is rectified and boosts the charging rate to the battery? (The existing switch has a feed from the battery as lights can be operated without engine running)
    I should add that the 32DB has a Paul Goff A Reg Six rectifier/regulator, whilst the 25DB still has a solid state rectifier.
    I apologize to some long-suffering members for dragging up an old sore issue!
    Pat H.

Should be OK as long as you always run with headlight on, if you do not you will boil the battery. LED bulbs to pilot and stop/tail should not be necessary. Whilst I have no experience of the Paul Goff (or similar) voltage regulator I would have thought that correctly wired it should reduce the current when lights are not on to an acceptable level for the battery. The other option would be to wire the extra charging coil through a separate switch & switch it out if headlight is not used.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/11/2014, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X