2T Sports Twin woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2t engine woes

followed the previous threads but not sure whats wrong with my rebuild as it just miss fires inconsistently. having done the routine new points condencers magnetised and new coils the spark is not what I would call good. is there a good electronic ignition on the market that any member can recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by mikerwt View Post
      followed the previous threads but not sure whats wrong with my rebuild as it just miss fires inconsistently. having done the routine new points condencers magnetised and new coils the spark is not what I would call good. is there a good electronic ignition on the market that any member can recommend?
      I would not go looking for electronic ignition (dont think there is standard one available anyway) it should be fine on original points if everything else is OK. Must be something simple you have missed. What about timing? This should be 3/16" BTDC, if this is out it will cause a misfire. Also check the ignition cam is fitted the right way round, should be fitted with arrow on outside showing direction of rotation. If it is the other way round the dwell angle will be wrong resulting in a poor spark.
      Sorry cant help further as its always difficult to diagnose these things without actually seeing the bike.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 29/04/2015, 10:42 AM. Reason: Extra info added

Comment

2t woes

thanks John, I've spoken to Steve at villiers as usual he is most help full as you say he does not advocate the need for electronics as points set properly should be fine. It appears some of my issues is earthing so I am busy removing nice and shiney powder coating back to clean metal.Next job will be to check timing as I assumed the points mountings were in the correct place "assume nothing" oh I believe the timing should be 5/32 for 2T and 3/16 for 3T nearly there!!

Comment

Originally posted by mikerwt View Post
          oh I believe the timing should be 5/32 for 2T and 3/16 for 3T nearly there!!
          No timing is 3/16 (0.187") on 2T & 5/32 (0.155") on 4T see this spec sheet for a James using same engine http://simplywizard.co.uk/folders/specsht/m25sss.htm Same figures also quoted in Villiers Singles & Twins by Roy Bacon
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 30/04/2015, 09:30 PM.

Comment

2t timing

Stand to be corrected thank you John

Comment

Working...
            X