1955 32d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 32d

I have been stripping the paint off my 1955 32D and I haven't seen any sign of Greeves blue paint anywhere.Its black on a grey undercoat and very hard to get off.Does anybody know if they were black as all the info I have read says they should be blue.

Colin's book says that it should be Quaker AKA Moorland Blue, but the 20R of the previous year was all black, so maybe yours was a left-over frame. Or maybe no Blue paint was delivered that week!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
      Colin's book says that it should be Quaker AKA Moorland Blue, but the 20R of the previous year was all black, so maybe yours was a left-over frame.
      I think you could be right their Brian, Stuart's bike was probably built at the change over point & Greeves were using up the Black paint. It would be several years before they needed to buy in more black paint for the East Coaster & the subsequent police bikes. If as Stuart says there are only traces of Black & grey (the grey would be the 'bonderising' process that Greeves used to prime the metal) then his bike would have been black.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        I think you could be right their Brian, Stuart's bike was probably built at the change over point & Greeves were using up the Black paint. It would be several years before they needed to buy in more black paint for the East Coaster & the subsequent police bikes. If as Stuart says there are only traces of Black & grey (the grey would be the 'bonderising' process that Greeves used to prime the metal) then his bike would have been black.
        I think that I might paint it black.That should get a few "they never painted them black" comments.

Comment

Hi Stuart,

I reckon you should paint it any colour you like and enjoy your bike.

Here's a rather fetching 20D......in green......

Brian.
          Attached Files

Comment

Black or Blue?

Originally posted by Stuart Baskill View Post
            I have been stripping the paint off my 1955 32D and I haven't seen any sign of Greeves blue paint anywhere.Its black on a grey undercoat and very hard to get off.Does anybody know if they were black as all the info I have read says they should be blue.
            Hi Stuart, If you checked with the factory dispatch records would that not tell what colour it is (if you have the original log book)?

Have you got any pics of the bike?

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
              I think you could be right their Brian, Stuart's bike was probably built at the change over point & Greeves were using up the Black paint. It would be several years before they needed to buy in more black paint for the East Coaster & the subsequent police bikes.
              They'd have needed a stock of black to mix with the blue...(only joking)

The main detail source for the finishes in the book was the contemporary catalogues. I would think it is highly likely that in the early days Greeves would paint your bike black if you asked them to. The Invacars had black frames, so it would have been no problem for them to stove enamel a bike frame black.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Bolas View Post
                Hi Stuart, If you checked with the factory dispatch records would that not tell what colour it is (if you have the original log book)?

Have you got any pics of the bike?

Keith
                I don't think that we have factory records before 1957 and I don't have the original log book.

Comment

That's correct, we don't have dispatch records pre-1957.
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                  X