2T gearbox problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2T gearbox problem

I’ve just stripped the gearbox on my 1960 25DB 2T to find the drive side layshaft bush and the timing side mainshaft bush completely worn out. The casings are also worn where the bushes fit. I’ve knurled the new bushes and fitted them with Loctite but I know this won’t last long. Does anyone know of a company that is capable of machining the cases and manufacturing over size bushes.? They would also need to be capable of lining the new bushes with the opposite bearing. Fortunately the gears, selectors and shafts seem pretty good considering the amount of bouncing about they must have been doing.

Sounds like a job for Simon Bateman (Nametab Engineering) but any reputable machine shop should be able to do it for you. Not sure where you are Phil (Essex maybe) as I know a very good engineer with a private workshop in South Cambs who would probably do it for you.
    If not may be cheaper to source another gearbox or gearbox casings

There is a virtually complete 2T engine/gearbox unit on eBay at present http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Villiers-2...item1c3465daf1
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 09/07/2013, 03:08 PM. Reason: Link to 2T engine for sale on eBay

Comment

Thanks John, Essex! I'm actually from Manchester. I have seen the engine on ebay but it may well have the same problem. I know Nametab have a good reputation so I may give them a call.

Many thanks
      Phil

Comment

Originally posted by philfrost View Post
        Thanks John, Essex! I'm actually from Manchester. I have seen the engine on ebay but it may well have the same problem. I know Nametab have a good reputation so I may give them a call.

Many thanks
        Phil
        The reason I thought you may live in Essex is that Eddie Frost the late Greeves Sales Manager lived there, I thought you may be a 'chip off the old block' Would help if you updated your profile with your town

Comment

Working...
        X