25DC Sports Twin Taillamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25DC Sports Twin Taillamp

My taillamp got broken this weekend and unfortunately the bit with the identification of the lens type has disappeared.
    Can anyone advise me which is the correct replacement lens?
    If it helps, mine has the lens screw fixings spaced at 7.5cm apart and is about 11cm in length and looks a bit like a Lucas 525 which I found advertised.
    Picture of what's left attached.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by grahamyoung1942; 19/05/2013, 11:18 AM.

Its the wrong type, you need one like this http://www.classicbikepartscheshire....otorcycle-p265

Comment

Thanks for that John. It's totally different from the one that was on there. I didn't realize that Greeves fitted Miller electrical parts as late as 1960, where can one find out such things (apart from asking on this forum of course).

Comment

Miller tail lights

Hi John,
        I recently posted a similar question and your response was to purchase a Miller Type 38ET which I did, only to find that it didn't fit the existing mounting holes. I still had the original base, but no lens and a bit of research revealed that it is a Miller type 39 that was originally fitted. I have since sourced a new lens and will therefore stick with the original light. Cheers Pete from the antipodes
        Attached Files

Comment

Miller tail lights

Further to the discussion on sportstwin tail lights, I have a 25dc plus a 32dc both 1961 on which there are Miller type 39, both machines where rebuilt with their original components, I am positive they are correct. I would guess that East coasters are different John is no doubt correct with his advice. Best wishes Les.

Comment

John Wakefield did say to me in a separate email that the Miller 38 is as close as you can get these days in appearance to the Miller 39. He sent me a photo of his own taillamp and it looks exactly like the Miller 39 that Pete shows.

Comment

Rear lights

I am sure there were different types of Miller rear lights fitted to roadsters over the years. The one on my East Coaster is according to the photo on page 121 in the Greeves book (at Wivenhoe with Dave Bickers) the wrong one. I suppose Greeves fitted whatever they could buy in at the time. Things like rear ligts got broken & replaced with other types over the years.

Comment

You're probably right John. I've an idea that the light on mine is actually a Lucas type 525. I'm waiting for confirmation from an Ebay seller who has these to verify the size and spacings etc. I'll probably try and replace it as it was so it fits the backing plate as it used to. I'm not so concerned about total conformance to the original as long as it looks OK and goes OK. However, it's nice to know where it's right and where it's wrong. Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Just in case it is of use to anyone, the taillamp did turn out to be a Lucas 525 (LU53269A). Obviously from the previous correspondence it is not technically the original part, but a pal got me a replacement lens at the Kempton Kark Autojumble for £4 so I've just replaced it as it was. At least it's roadworthy.

Comment

Working...
                  X