24DB silencer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24DB silencer

Whilst at the AGM I purchased a new silencer for my 24DB, the usual type unchromed and requiring a bracket
    Can anyone confirm the correct type of bracket that should be fitted, the only silencers I have been able to check out have been fitted onto twins and are the little teardrop shape welded to the top seam. The silencer on the bike has a plate welded to the silencer with a strip turned upwards for fixing, I don't think it's the original.

If anyone can help and to save a dry run have they also the dimensions of the hole in the bracket, centre of hole above silencer seam, and centre to rear of silencer. Also as the bracket is teardrop shaped should the bracket angle slope up towards the rear or the other way.

On another tack I seem to remember that the old Armstrong? rear shocks can be refurbished, is this possible or is it just better to buy new. Whilst I'm still preparing things for painting and plating it'll help to make sure everythings ready.

24DB silencer

Below is a pic of a silencer on a 24DB, looks like the bracket is welded to top seam & a tear drop facing forward. Mounting is obscured by footrest but it gives the general pattern. Best to make up a bracket & tack weld it on with silencer in situ.
    Cant help with rebuilding Armstrong units, I suppose anything is possible at a price. Probably cheaper & best to fit modern replacements particularly if the bike is going to be ridden.

Comment

24DB silencer

Thanks, thats just the pic I need, I can scale everything off from that.

I'm not sure about the back mudguard on that one though, it appears to have been bent in where it runs inside the chainguard, I'm pretty certain mine has the original mudguards and the rear has a cutaway to clear the chain guard.
      I'll make a template and tuck it away inside the folder I'm building of detail stuff in case the subject ever arises.

On the same track knowing there are several Greeves on display (I believe a 24DB at Sammy Millers) are there any known to be as built or just as important any with major errors, its no good going round with a camera and tape measure if the info you're taking is dud.

One for the record books, have I the last registered 24DB, frame no. 61/2619 seems to indicate a 1961 bike but it wasn't registered until 23/7/1963, it must have been nearly rooted to the showroom floor.

Comment

Mudguards

I'm not a Roadster expert, but both front, and rear mudguards in the photo are incorrect when compared to how it left the factory. (Size, Length, section) They do however, get a tick in the box for being aluminium

The exhaust looks spot on. I am sure a drawing of the silencer bracket was published in L-L. You certainly wouldn't get too much water thrown of the front wheel when riding in the rain.

Comment

24DB mudguards

Yep, the rears definitely bashed into place and the front looks a bit long.

I'm intending to re-use to originals on mine as they're pretty good, only a couple of very minor dents to sort out then a good polish.

It'll probably be useful to make templates with all the holes and the cutaway in the rear, you never know when someone will need it.

Comment

Hi,
            I'm new to the forum and live in Australia.
            I have an MDS motor in my cotton roadster.
            Can anyone advise me where i can buy a silencer to suit this thing.
            cheers

Comment

Villiers Services http://www.villiersservices.co.uk/ not sure if they would export to Australia though.

Comment

I bought a silencer for a 20DC from Sheffield Motorcycles last year.
                Same shape as 2T as sold by Armours but a bigger inlet diameter
                01246 290021

Comment

Or Armours direct http://www.armoursltd.co.uk/Armours/Home/Home.html
                  they do do export whereas I would not think Sheffield Motor Cycles (Bantam John) would send outside UK, he is not the most approachable man & it would be a costly call from Australia to find out.
                  Armours do not seem to list the Villiers silencers in their on line catalogue but an email to them would soon find out a price etc.

Comment

I've just ordered one from Villiers Services.
                    Thanks for the help.
                    The performance will probably suffer.
                    With this motor, it seems the louder it is the better it goes??

cheers.

Comment

Working...
                    X