3T gearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3T gearing

I have been reading Aug 85 L/L no.8 which suggests using 2t gearing on a 3t,by changing the primary sprocket to a 20tooth instead of 25tooth.I ride both 25DC and 32DC models and find no improvement in performance,Has anyone tried this? As a further suggestion a 19tooth gearbox sprocket could be used to give a bit of overdrive. Any comments please. From Les.Y.

3T Gearing

Originally posted by mayfield View Post
    I have been reading Aug 85 L/L no.8 which suggests using 2t gearing on a 3t,by changing the primary sprocket to a 20tooth instead of 25tooth.I ride both 25DC and 32DC models and find no improvement in performance,Has anyone tried this? As a further suggestion a 19tooth gearbox sprocket could be used to give a bit of overdrive. Any comments please. From Les.Y.
    One thing to remember is that the 3T produces max output at 5000 rpm for the 32DB & 5500 rpm for the 32DC. The 2T produces max power at 5500 rpm in both the 25DB & 25DC. So presumably if it was the later 3T (25DC) engine then the same gearing as the 2T would make little difference.
    In general I think a slight increase in gearing can be benificial if riding on todays faster 'A' roads & motorways, gives the engine an easier time. Like wise I raised the gearing slightly on my 25DC Mk2 (4T engine with max output at 6000 rpm) to give the same overall ratio as the 2T version. It goes ok in the flat lands of Cambridgeshire but used in more hilly terrain would probably be better left as standard gearing.
    Just a case of experimenting to find the best overall ratio to suit your bike, your style of riding, & the area you live / ride.

Comment

3T gearing

Hi Les, I was told once or read that the larger engine sprocket was fitted to make kickstarting easier for the larger capacity engine. The difference was then made to the overall gearing by changing to a different gear box /rear sprocket to bring it back to same or near enough gearing as a 2T. I find with both twins that if they are overgeared and cannot sustain top gear riding they are "horrible " so mine is probably undergeared but much more rideable, lets face it I am not riding on the limit at my time of life and crusing is more the way my bike is ridden these days!!!

Comment

Working...
      X