Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitting a Voltage Regulator to 2T, 3T & 4T‏.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a Voltage Regulator to 2T, 3T & 4T‏.

I received the following email from John Wakefield today, as follows;

Brian,

Could you please post Ian Black's electrics mod for 2T 3T & 4T roadsters to include a voltage regulator & more controlled charging. He has agreed to it going on, but has not the time to do it at present

I am sure it will be of interest to members. Ian is a member.

John.

Forwarded in John's email was Ian's electrics mod together with the four attached pics, as follows;

Hi John,

The unit is an A-Reg Six 6 volt Rectifier/Regulator supplied by A. O. Services of 35, Griston Road, Watton, Thetford, IP25 6DN. Phone 01953 884681. Web sitewww.aoservices.co.uk(other suppliers may be available but that's the company I have always used.) When buying you need to state the engine you are going to use it on and required earth (positive on Villiers)as they come in various forms.

I have attached wiring diagram plus pictures to show how and where I mounted the various components and the new front indicator location. The unit needs to be positioned where it will stay cool, although, as these units are designed to handle 180 watts, I don't think that a Villiers generator is going to cause it much bother.

Advantages are much simplified wiring. Only need to use three of the contacts on light switch as charging circuit doesn't have to go through it. Fewer blown bulbs because no possibility of too much voltage reaching them, Accurate voltage control enabling the use of cyclone type sealed batteries. The type supplied by Burlen Fuel Systems (01722 412500) These batteries are good for bikes that don't get used very often as they can stand for months without losing their charge but they are very sensitive to charge voltage.

Anything that's not clear please do contact me.

If you think this may be of use to other members then feel free to put it on the Club web site.

Ian Black.

Posted as requested.

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 13/04/2012, 09:16 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Thanks!

You're welcome John, by the way....

Couldn't you have posted this yourself?

Brian.

Comment

Thanks

Yes could have done but did not want to use up my photo allocation. Thanks anyway on behalf of Ian
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 16/04/2012, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I thought it might be something like that John.

I was very happy to oblige, and many thanks to Ian for putting it together and for sending it in to share with everyone.

Brian.

Comment

Just bumping this thread as I had an inquiry from a member on the subject recently

Comment

Hi John
            I've just noticed the thread you have bumped regarding the modern regulator.
            Is this still a practical mod?
            Best regards
            Ken

Comment

Very much so, particularly if you dont have the correct Miller lighting switch. Gives a more controlled charging rate.

Comment

Working...
              X