This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25dc trouble shooting

Merry Christmas all,hope everything is well with your 'strokers' ;must give mine a Christmas morning outing as haven't been out on it for 2 whole weeks-shopping don't you know !
    Just a small query while I'm here.I have a small exhaust leak where the silencer meets the main pipe-I've tried tightening the clamp but it still puffs out slightly.Is there some sort of sealing compound I can buy that you can recommend ?
    I am now a Full member, having joined on the 1st December,but my title still reads 'basic user'. I followed the advice and sent the email as instructed 3 weeks ago but,as yet,it's still the reading the same-any ideas ?
    Happy New Year

Comment

exhaust sealing rings

Originally posted by bryan View Post
      Merry Christmas all,hope everything is well with your 'strokers' ;must give mine a Christmas morning outing as haven't been out on it for 2 whole weeks-shopping don't you know !
      Just a small query while I'm here.I have a small exhaust leak where the silencer meets the main pipe-I've tried tightening the clamp but it still puffs out slightly.Is there some sort of sealing compound I can buy that you can recommend ?
      I am now a Full member, having joined on the 1st December,but my title still reads 'basic user'. I followed the advice and sent the email as instructed 3 weeks ago but,as yet,it's still the reading the same-any ideas ?
      Happy New Year
      Re the exhaust leak, this is common with 2T & 4T engines, make sure the sealing ring is in good condition, the ones Villiers Services sell are not large enough dia. I made solid aluminium ones for my bike cut them out of 1/8th or 3mm soft alloy sheet. They still leaked for a time though, but eventually the carbon built up & sealed the joint. Just keep tightening the locking ring after each run.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/12/2011, 06:47 PM. Reason: amended wording

Comment

You could try some bathroom sealant, but let it dry out overnight before you test it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
          You could try some bathroom sealant, but let it dry out overnight before you test it.
          DO NOT use sealent as it will clog the threads of the locking rings, particularly the internal ones on the 4T. Bathroom sealent is totally unsuitable it will just melt.

Comment

I always use a bit of silicone sealant between the pipe and the silencer - it works a treat!

Comment

Oddly enough silicone sealer on exhausts works well , doesn't melt and seals all the gaps .

Renowned for sealing pipes on any exhaust that just pushes into the cylinder head on fourstrokes .

Chris

Comment

Like Buzzer says, it does work!

Comment

25dc trouble shooting

It appears to be some confusion as to where the leak in question needs sealing, I agree silicon sealant on threads is not a good idea at the cylinder position,I always smear ends of pipes with silicon before sliding into silencer then clamp up,it always works for me.

Comment

I have a car with removable panels on the silencers to allow you to re-pack them. I was advised some years ago to seal them with silicone but it has to be the very strong smelling type. It has always worked well for me.

Brian.

Comment

Exhaust sealing rings

Originally posted by mayfield View Post
                      It appears to be some confusion as to where the leak in question needs sealing, I agree silicon sealant on threads is not a good idea at the cylinder position,I always smear ends of pipes with silicon before sliding into silencer then clamp up,it always works for me.
                      Its the joint between cylinder & exhust pipe. (see sketch) A copper asbestos sealing ring is used but the ones now sold by Villiers Services are too small in diameter (thickness) & when compressed distort & leave gaps, hence a leak(Steve Gollings please take note if you read this)
                      This type of seal was common at one time & was available from garages in varoius sizes. Maybe a good car spares shop may have some, or a trawl through autojumble stalls. As I said before, I got over the problem of making my own out of flat sheet alloy. Not being round these give a much larger sealing area. The flange on the exhaust pipe needs to be in good condition as well, not distorted or rusted away.
                      Attached Files

Comment

25dc trouble shooting

Has anyone ever adjusted the right hand footrest so that it makes changing gear any easier,maybe by adding something to the front of the footrest ? At the moment I have to lift my foot off the footrest and move it forward to change gear-my size 8 boot doesn't help so maybe I should wear a 10 !

Comment

2T gear change

Has anyone ever adjusted the right hand footrest so that it makes changing gear any easier,maybe by adding something to the front of the footrest ? At the moment I have to lift my foot off the footrest and move it forward to change gear-my size 8 boot doesn't help so maybe I should wear a 10 !
                          A much simpler solution is to shorten the gear lever.

Comment

Gear lever lengths

Just out of interest, I measured a couple of gear levers in my spares box. One measured 170mm from shaft centre to the centre of the toe pad. The other measured 135mm, so it may be worth keeping a lookout at the autojumbles.

Comment

25DB rear wheel spindle.

Hi, and a Happy New Year to everyone!
                              Can anyone please help, with advice,on the rear wheel spindle assembly layout, on my 25DB,?
                              The spindle is 9" long, and 3/4" diameter,(at the ,"offset"!centre section!)..Wheel bearing location faces are 3" from one end, and 2&5/16", from the other.Question is,which end is the sprocket end, and which the brake?(I think its the 3" end? but I may be wrong!).
                              Any advice on this hub assembly,spacer locations etc, will be much appreciated,as ever!.
                              All the best,
                              Les.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Les Pilgrim; 12/01/2012, 02:58 AM. Reason: added sketch

Comment

25dc trouble shooting

HI BUZZER,thanks for the info. on the different lengths of the gear change lever.I have ,for now, bought a extra footrest rubber and secured it with jubilee clips,to the front,of the original.It does work but looks a little weird,still the gear changing is easier.By the way I've just measured the lever and it is around 135-140mm.Still I'll keep my eyes peeled for an even shorter one!
                                Just for every ones info.I used that silicon sealer on not only the leak from the silencer but also on the chain case,where I had some oil leakage,and it worked a treat,so thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                                X