20 D Wheel alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 D Wheel alignment

Whilst rebuilding my 1956 20D I've noticed that even though both front and rear wheels seem to lined up (i.e. with a metal straight edge), the front one appears to be to one side when viewed whilst sitting astride the bike, and when measured it's about 1/2" closer to the right fork than the left. Has anyone knowledge of this with a Greeves or indeed any other model? Can it be normal?

Many thanks,

David

Originally posted by davidm View Post
    Whilst rebuilding my 1956 20D I've noticed that even though both front and rear wheels seem to lined up (i.e. with a metal straight edge), the front one appears to be to one side when viewed whilst sitting astride the bike, and when measured it's about 1/2" closer to the right fork than the left. Has anyone knowledge of this with a Greeves or indeed any other model? Can it be normal?

Many thanks,

David
    I,m trying to find out how many 1956 20D,s have survived.Would you mind telling me your frame number for my records? Mine is in bits at the moment so I cant really help your measurements.I intend fitting a double back to back brake in mine for tyre squealing stops !!!!!!!!!! Does yours have a tear shaped toolbox?

Comment

Many thanks,

David
      1/2 inch seems a bit far out, on my 25DC East Coaster the wheel is about 1/4 inch nearer to the right hand fork leg.
      Could be that the wheel has been built with wrong off set, or wrong wheel spacers.

Comment

Spindle set up

Sounds like the 1/4 thick nut on the wheel spindle is missing?

Comment

Wheel alignment

Check if the wheel is central in the Leading Link connecting loop, which it is on my bike (even gap each side of tyre)

Comment

Mine's not much like a 20D anymore as it's got a tuned 210 engine having been raced, but the frame number is 6056D. hope that hepls.

David

Originally posted by Stuart Baskill View Post
            I,m trying to find out how many 1956 20D,s have survived.Would you mind telling me your frame number for my records? Mine is in bits at the moment so I cant really help your measurements.I intend fitting a double back to back brake in mine for tyre squealing stops !!!!!!!!!! Does yours have a tear shaped toolbox?

Comment

Mine's not much like a 20D anymore as it's got a tuned 210 engine having been raced, but the frame number is 6056D. hope that hepls.

David

Thanks for the info.I,m interested to know how many early Greeves have survived as they were only made in small numbers.Yours is the earliest of only 3 1956 20D,s that I know of.Its a pity that you aren,t restoring it. Stuart

Comment

Working...
              X