Roadster fuel tank reserve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster fuel tank reserve

Did Greeves ever make a roadster tank (24 dc) with a reserve supply? Thanks, Stephen.

Originally posted by 565545 View Post
    Did Greeves ever make a roadster tank (24 dc) with a reserve supply? Thanks, Stephen.
    I dont know about 24DC but some tanks had 2 petrol taps and you can buy taps with a reserve level.Also the early tanks were approx 4 gallons.

Comment

Reserve petrol tap

Like Stuart I dont think Greeves actually fitted a reserve petrol tap to roadsters from the DB series onwards, they may have done on the earlier Fleetwing.
      Bert Greeves probably refused to pay the extra few pence for a reserve tap. Its a simple matter to replace the existing tap with a reserve one, make sure that you get an ethanol proof one though. Varous people sell them including Paul Goff & the VMCC. A reserve is not really neccessary as if the bike runs out of petroil there is enogh in the opposite side of the tank (just lean the bike over to drain it accross) to get 5 miles or so.

Comment

Whilst talking fuel my East Coaster is a thirsty little devil compared to my G3LS I assume that is normal for two strokes.

Comment

The East Coaster should do 68mpg (Motorcycle Mechanics Road Test 1965) mine does this.

Comment

Thanks John will do a proper check maybe the small tank is fooling me

Comment

reserve fuel

Thanks very much John, I'll contact the VMCC.
              Stephen

Comment

The East Coaster I owned back in 1966 certainly had a reserve lever on the fuel tap. I can still remember forgetting to switch mine back and running out a few times back then. I have one for my current bike but the thread has gone & sometime I will get around to working out how to restore it . New ones are not easy to get these days with the correct thread so I have now fitted a VMCC on off tap which works well & looks OK but it isn't original if you worry about such things.

Comment

Fuel tank reserve.

Colin gave me an old tank with the rear fixings missing. I took it to a local enthusiast [ he has a few big vincents] and he welded the fixings back and fitted a tap to the other side of the tank. I now have an easy to use reserve. It may be worth while it was not dear and I paid more than he asked. People like him are worth knowing.
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X