25 DB electrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 DB electrics

I've been hibernating over the winter, but have now pulled the Greeves out of storage and given it a blast or two. Today, without warning, I lost the power supply to the lights, although the horn and brake light work ok. I had been thinking about sorting out the wiring as I was aware that a PO had made a dog's breakfast of it, but got a bit of a surprise when I started digging for the fault. For a start, none of the wiring is standard colour as per the manual. In fact, it looks as though the PO has assembled it from bits he found on the road, liberally held together with very iffy taped-over connectors. I didn't even bother looking for the break; just not worth it. I'll rewire before something more serious happens. However, one or two questions arise; the lighting switch looks like a genuine Miller item, but the numbering of the terminals is not the same as in the book. Does anybody supply the correct or repro item? Also, the diagram of the headlight shows a green wire running to auxiliary on the switch. There is no aux on my switch, and the diagram is a bit confusing in that the source of the green wire is not named. It also seems to show the pilot bulb as wired to the dip switch, which can't be right (can it?) While stripping out the old tat, I also paid some attention to the horn, which is broken (replacement fitted under the saddle!) The PO has refitted the original horn in the correct place, but using bathroom sealant to glue it in. Is a replacement horn available, and how should it mount (don't tell me - use bathroom sealant??????)

Thanks in advance for any help,

Frank

Wiring

Hi Frank
    The auxilary posn is a fixing screw (not earthed) for the switch & is connected to terminal 8 when in pilot posn I think the wording relating to the pilot bulb (PILOT 6V 6W) is badly possnd on diagram the connection from dip switch is for head light bulb. The green wire should still go to auxillary which becomes a live feed when switch is in pilot posn.
    As for horn, cant help here, someone else may know how it is fixed, presumably some form of clip or bracket. If no one else comes up with one you may be able to get a replacement from Taff Isaacs (Taff the Horn) he advertises in Old Bike Mart
    I have attached a diagram of the switch positions. Note the circuit is positive earth ie Battery + to earth.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

Brilliant, John. Ever helpful and reliable. I'm just ordering some new lengths of wiring and sundries from Vehicle Wiring Products and then I'll get on with making up a new loom. I had wondered whether Taff might be the man, and I'll give him a try. Thanks for the diagram, too; it confirms (along with your definition of auxiliary), that the switch is in fact correct.

All the best,

Frank

Comment

Taff the horn

Bit of a strange old boy is Taff, I cant make out whether he actually wants sell any horns or just like to chat about them. In his advert he says he will do swops for speedway progammes etc. I think he may be a bit on the pricey side if he will sell, I would have thought there are some around within the club. If not Vehicle Wiring Prods do replica's that you may be able to adapt.

Comment

Taff also has a fantastic ISDT website www.speedtracktales.co.uk He got into that by accident after visiting the Llandrindod Wells Bicycle Museum. On opening the cupboards, much old stuff about the ISDTs was seen and he got hooked. You may see some of my pics on that site.

Comment

That link does not work Brian try this one http://www.taffthehorns.com/
            Loads of info on horns including the type fitted to Greeves roadsters

Comment

Miller switch

John, I've started the rewire and have had a closer look at the switch that came with the bike. Of the eight positions for terminals, there are only six present, these being 1,2, 4, 6,7,8. Terminals 3 and 5 are missing and from the appearance of the base, have never been fitted. I'm getting the feeling that this is the wrong switch and could possibly account for the bird's nest of wiring that the PO had had to install to get it to work. What do you think?

Frank

Comment

Switch

Yes it looks the wrong switch, 3 & 5 should be there, 6 is a blank & connected to 5, 4 is missing and there is another contact on the auxillary posn between 1 & 8 which is held by the switch fixing screw. Looks like you need a new switch of the correct configeration. Vehicle Wiring Products do repro switches but not sure if they have terminals correct for Greeves. If not someone in the club must have one.
                Here is a link to Wiring Prods web page http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...e/switches.php
                The repro Miller switch is pt No W11060 at a whopping £52.39 plus p&p
                you would need to check the terminal configuration to see if its correct for Greeves.
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/05/2011, 11:00 AM. Reason: Wiring Prods link added

Comment

Lighting Switch

I have contacted Vehicle Wiring Products & it would appear that the Miller Switch they sell is not configured for Greeves use so be warned at over £50 they are not cheap to buy.
                  I attach diagram for the Vehicle Wiring Products (VWP) item, they do say it will fit Velo, Vincent, Rudge & some RE models only. Obviously those with DC dynamo's
                  Other suppliers such as the VMCC also list a Miller switch but I suspect they would be the same as VWP. I dont know a source for the Greeves configured one.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by John Wakefield; 25/05/2011, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X