Road Twin - Andy Tiernan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Twin - Andy Tiernan.

Following JW's comment on the 'E-Bay' section, I've looked at this too. I agree that its obviously been built from various parts, luckily most of those parts are Greeves !
    As a going concern, it may well be ok, however it looks untidy, and, in my experience, if it looks wrong - it is wrong. There are some suspicious marks on the Beam which may be related to accident damage, however I may be wrong. (and before Mr Sparrow adds it, yes I look wrong too!)

OK, so its a 'bitzer', but deliberately put together to make money or just an unfortunate amalgam of parts ? Either way, its FAR too expensive at that price. £1,000 -1,200 for a BASIS only bike, I'd go with.

(UNLESS ....ITS SOME LONG FORGOTTEN FACTORY SPECIAL INTENDED FOR SCOTTS POLAR EXPEDITION ?)

Road Twin - Andy Tiernan.

The 2T engine number (suffix 229D) incidently is from a 1963 Cotton Continental Sports. I think the bike has been like this for some years, probably built by an 'engineer' owner who made it up from available spare parts. The angle of the LL looks alarming suggesting that the rubber bushes have failed or the bushes have been incorrectly fitted.
    Registration number is 504 XUB an age related mark, first registered 11/10/06
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 24/03/2011, 11:58 AM. Reason: machine report added

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      Registration number is 504 XUB an age related mark, first registered 11/10/06
      http://www.andybuysbikes.com/Reports/5097gvsrpt.pdf
      Andy Tiernan was a pioneer in the number-robbing game. Probably not on this one though, as it was done in 06.

Comment

I note the "bike responds nicely when asked" What happens if you dont ask??

Comment

Greeves Twin - Andy Tiernan.

1. If you don't ask - you don't get.

2. Andy bought my 1957 T.100 from me when I needed money to pay for Solicitors bills relating to my Son and Child abuse by his Mom's Boyfriends back in 1998. I've tried to find VOC 997 since....No luck yet. AT seemed a decent bloke, I'm suprised, but not too much if AT had been selling off the VRM's of 'bikes. There's one particular Dealer in the Media who not only sells off the Reg's but also asks sky high prices for whats left !

Comment

Andy is ok, just a decent bloke trying to make a living.

The Greeves twin is as he describes and is a bit of a bitza. I've seen it.
            20DC frame, 4T pots on an engine with a 2T number. Toolbox missing.

Overpriced at present, I wouldn't be surprised if he withdraws it from sale, it isn't up to his usual standards.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Voc 997

VOC 997. Strange but there is no vehicle currently with this number (its not still on the Triumph) so may be on retention with a Vincent Owners Club member!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
                Andy Tiernan was a pioneer in the number-robbing game. Probably not on this one though, as it was done in 06.
                Sorry, I wasn't implying that he was a crook or something! Just the nature of his business may not be to some people's taste.

Andy is indeed a decent bloke, last time I saw him we went to the pub next door to his place, after buying an old sidecar off him, which was cheap, as he hates sidecars!

The number plate market is not doing too well at the moment, so I don't know if he even does it any more.

Cheers,
                Andrew

Comment

No Plates, etc.,

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                  VOC 997. Strange but there is no vehicle currently with this number (its not still on the Triumph) so may be on retention with a Vincent Owners Club member!!

When I needed to sell this, (which was a wrench as it was a total restoration with all the right bits on it, inc Delta Head and BTH Comp Mag), I put it in several Mags. I had a Vincent owner who pestered me for the No alone. I said no. The Bike was one of the last to come from Wal Handley's (of TT Fame) shop on Broad St B'ham. It was my Dad's retirement present. When Andy heard why I was selling it he gave me the asking price without question. I've still got photos of it, but that's all.

Comment

Peter, I take it it had a V5 & was taxed at the time?

Comment

No Plates & Greeves Twins, etc.,

Hi John,

Yes, even had the Buff log book, and a green continuation book. I'd been out on it a week previous when one of the mag pick ups broke so it wasn't running very well. After 10 years, I'm not suprised if the VRM has gone. Even the 'SU' series of age related No's are now appearing on Coaches, etc., obviously bought off restored 'bikes & mopeds.
                      I remember the AutocycleClub having horrendous problems with Plate Dealers who'ds got hold of their membership list. What would'nt be so bad is DVLAs attitude. If one could re-reg a bike with a decent No, (FOR KEEPS) then the loss of a nondescript pre 64 No wouldn't be so bad, but to have to jump through so many beaurocratic hoops !

Comment

Working...
                      X