Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCS for Sale

RCS or sale in Austria

Sell a GREEVES-Silverstone, type RCS, 250cc, built in 1965. According to the factory, 68 units have been built. Instead of the vulnerable 5-speed gearbox, the 4-speed gearbox is attached, as was customary at the time. PVL ignition + modern Bing carburetor. Location Bregenz near Lake Constance. Email: miwe_tr4@gmx.at

Not sure about the gearbox statement or the fact that the Bing carb looks like an Amal MKII

http://www.classic-motorrad.de/class...-250ccm_i61768 Frame number 24RCS108 which is not on GRA Racer Database Seller asking 6900 Euros. Looks like a BSA A7 plunger gearbox, I agree the carb is an Amal Concentric MkII
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 09/04/2023, 02:43 PM.

Comment

It was certainly common on the RCS to convert the gearbox back to 4-speed as the original was very unreliable. But this was done by replacing the 5-speed cluster with a 4-speed cluster, within the original case.
      Stan

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Nicholson View Post
        It was certainly common on the RCS to convert the gearbox back to 4-speed as the original was very unreliable. But this was done by replacing the 5-speed cluster with a 4-speed cluster, within the original case.
        Stan
        I think the BSA gearboix was a mod used on scramblers back in the day, not sure what ratios were used, I would not think there were many if any alternatives as it was a road box, not critical for scrambles, but probably not right for road racing. I suppose the flange fitting made it suitable fit it to the Greeves engine.

Comment

Circa 1975 I had a Greeves frame which had been lengthened by 1 1/4" , I was told that it was done to fit a BSA gearbox- I had hoped to build a Grumph as it would have been easier to fit the Triumph engine. Sold it with my Stamaker engined bike to buy a Yamaha to do Enduros.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterJGreig View Post
            Circa 1975 I had a Greeves frame which had been lengthened by 1 1/4" , I was told that it was done to fit a BSA gearbox- I had hoped to build a Grumph as it would have been easier to fit the Triumph engine. Sold it with my Stamaker engined bike to buy a Yamaha to do Enduros.
            Depends upon which BSA gearbox you use, the one in the Silverstone from an A7 with plunger frame which bolts to engine with a flange (like Villiers and Greeves) the later BSA boxes were normal fitting within engine plates, so would take up more space hence the 1 1/4 lengthening of the frame.

Comment

I suspect you're right, it depends how heavy the wheel is. Too much weight and the metalastics/dampers can't keep up and you get front end judder. Still, it sounds like it's got some good parts on it including the gearbox.

Comment

Its 24RCS114 fitted with 4 leading shoe front brake owned by a GRA member
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X