Primary Chain Tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary Chain Tension

My post concerning 'Primary Chain Tension' appears to have migrated to the 'racers database' section of racing machines when it was originally posted in this section -?
    Does anyone have the primary chain tension figure (up and down) for a Silverstone please?
    Last edited by tonyed27; 11/03/2023, 04:52 AM.

Did you get the answer to this question, Tony? I don't remember seeing anything in print from Greeves on this, giving a suggested amount of free play.

I have found, both with the original Albion clutch and the Griffon one I fitted some time ago, that there is always some eccentricity in the system that makes even brand new chains to have a tight spot when the sprocket/clutch are rotated. I add/remove shims to give a small amount of free play at this tightest point and let the free play everywhere else be what it is.

When I fitted the Griffon clutch (or maybe when I fitted the Nova 6-speed cluster) I spent some time getting the sprockets aligned and this has made a profound difference to how long the chain lasts before it starts to spit off rollers or have tight spots on the side plates. This was a regular problem before but I have been using the same chain now for several race seasons and it is still in good condition, although I will put in a new one for this season just in case. Would not want it to break and take out the cases or send me sliding down the road either .

Stan

Comment

Thanks Stan. I will be fitting a Griffon clutch shortly so I'll pay particular attention to both tight spots and sprocket alignment

Comment

Working...
      X