5GP2 carburettor - 3/8” Tufnol spacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5GP2 carburettor - 3/8” Tufnol spacer

I am fitting the original AMAL 1⅜ 5GP2 carburettor to my Greeves Silverstone RDS. For this I need two 3/8” Tufnol spacers and I only have one. Does anyone know where I can find a second spacer please?

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/RENECH~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.jpg[/IMG]
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

I some 'carp brand' Tufnol 11 mm thick (0.433 inches) if you have machining facilities to make one.

Comment

John, many thanks. I have no machining facilities but will talk to some local engineering firms

Comment

I have looked in the parts list for the RDS and there is no mention of the Tufnol spacer, just 2 paper gaskets. one each side of the float mounting plate. . If there were two spacers that would need two more paper gaskets . There isn't one never mind two on my RCS and that goes well enough, You may be overworrying. Dogsbody

Comment

It's in "British 250 Racer" under "Packings" on page 20. Also the studs are too long for only one. I'm sure I could run it with just the one but while I'm at it will try to have the two.

Comment

On page 99 of the Carrick & Walker Greeves book, there is a photo of the engine of the Orpin Greeves RBS, which won the 250 Lightweight Manx GP in September 1964, in the hands of Gordon Keith. It clearly shows two 3/8" Tufnol spacers, between which is sandwiched a thin metal plate to provide a mounting for the remote float chamber.

Comment

Got the book and seen the photo - clearly two Tufnol spacers required. Luckily Dogsbody has suggested someone who has been able to help - many thanks.

Comment

That is an RBS though, not an RDS. They may be different.......

Comment

My RDS has the two tufnol spacers, one either side of the remote float mount. It is my belief that this was standard at least on the RCS and RDS models. I know the provenance of my RDS from when it was delivered new to Alistair Kirkaldy and am sure this arrangement hasn't been changed. An RCS I acquired in 1974 also has these two tufnol spacers.

Comment

Working...
                  X