RBS Gear box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RBS Gear box

Hi, I am trying to help a friend of mine get an RBS up and running.
    When he purchased the bike it was a non runner with an non cam change 5 speed gear box.
    He then purchased a Nova 6 speed cluster and was rather dissapointed when he presented all the parts to me and I told him it won't fit.
    He then set out to find the correct 5 speed housing without sucess as silverstones are few and far between here in Australia.
    I then wondered if I could sqeeze it into an MX2 housing as a stopgap to finding the correct housing, all proceeded well until it came to the selectors, the MX2 selector shaft has 9 teeth and I think the Silverstone one may have 10 or 11.
    I will post a wanted add for a 5 speed cam change housing and end covers, will take almost any thing if it is to damaged to repair it could be useful as pattern to get one cast.
    Here are some pictures of the dummy housing that I constructed to make sure it was selecting properly.
    cheers Peter Growse Melbourne Australia.
    Attached Files

The RBS and the RCS had the MX2-based five speeder which was such a terrible 'box that many riders replaced it with MX3 or MX4 cambarrel boxes. They're ok for racing if you just want a bit of fun.

The RDS/RES/RFS five speed cambarrel box was much better, but they're as rare as rocking horse poo. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 08/03/2013, 07:11 AM.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
      The RBS and the RCS had the MX2-based five speeder which was such a terrible 'box that many riders replaced it with MX3 or MX4 cambarrel boxes. They're ok for racing if you just want a bit of fun.

The RDS/RES/RFS five cambarrel box was much better, but they're as rare as rocking horse poo. Best of luck.
      Thanks Colin, The nova gearbox internals seems to well made from my point of view, only the selectors seem to let it down, I basically won't the cases to put the internals in, the selectors, well if I can find an alternative, I might change them, I am basically looking for some feedback, and am willing to listen to other peoples experience, no use in trying to re-invent the wheel, that the great thing about this forum.
      Cheers Pete

Comment

You'll struggle to find the 5-speed cam barrel housing I've been looking for years......

The Nova box itself is superb, I use one on my Oulton and I've not had any problems at all, although they are tricky to get set up in the first place.

I'd be interested to know how many people would like 5-speed cam barrel replica gearbox cases as if there is enough demand I would look at getting some cast....

Comment

I've got the case but I need some selector forks. Were originally forgings so would be quite tricky to make but I believe Merv Stratford produced some once.

Comment

RBS Gearbox

The original selectors were forged as were the Griffon ones. Greeves later fabricated their own for the Griffon (you'll have the drawings Rob), not pretty but they do the job and don't need investment in tooling.

Druid

Comment

Gary gwillam

HI the selectors be same construction as the mk2qub then john

steve at villiers services has the cast allot square cover on some of the silverstone gearboxes also has new brake front arms short and long new

Comment

RBS gearbox

Gary,
                When I referred to the Griffon selectors I was talking about the method of fabrication not the design. Unfortunately they are not interchangeable, hence the rarity of the Silverstone ones.

Druid

Comment

griffon selectors

was that referring to the selectors then that were a pice of square with a welded plate "c" then punched either side to allow for oil (that usualy bend like spagetti)

Comment

Griffon selectors

That's the one Gary, although I've never had one bend yet.

Druid

Comment

rbs gearbox

The gearboxes are rare last time i saw one sell was 3 years ago at a jumble think it was kiddlington and beforre that was at bristol dockside show will keep a eye out for it though

Comment

Working...
                      X