Mick Grants RES Silverstone for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mick Grants RES Silverstone for sale

THe current January issue of OBM carries a report on a Silverstone restored by Mick Grant from a rusting wreck. The bike is restored to good running condition but not racing spec. No price is quoted but prospective buyers can ring Mick on 07711 030109 to discuss.
    The feature gives a very potted history about Reg Everett & how the the Silverstone came to be but with some 'journalistic licence' by Tim Britten saying that Greeves produced the Starmaker engine for use in Cotton machines!! Thats news to me & many others I suspect.

Is this the one he was given for free and didn't want then?

Comment

Mick Grant's Silverstone

Correct. Bet he will want a bit more than the restoration costs. The colour does it no favours. Interesting that the new Amal carb did not work properly, & he had to fit the slide & needle out of the old one to get it to start & run properly. Not the first time I have heard this, particularly with two stroke set ups. You would think that the company who now own the maufacturing rights of Amal (Burlin Fuel Systems) would get things right as they are always crowing about inferior pattern parts!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        some 'journalistic licence' by Tim Britten saying that Greeves produced the Starmaker engine for use in Cotton machines!! Thats news to me & many others I suspect.
        I think he must have meant to say "Villiers".

John, the colour's right if it's an RES.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Just got my copy of OBM, I have seen the bike for sale for a while on the internet but I cant remember where it was?

It's an RES so as Colin says the colour are close enough. Original clutch and points ignition though! I suppose it would make a good display or parade bike.

I think many people have had issues with new "amal" products, I noticed in OBM further on from the Greeves article they're saying you can buy GP2 carbs new, when infact you cant, You can only buy the GP1, Which although Burlen will say it will work, it certainly wont as the downdraught in too steep.

A guy on here has also had the chrome coming off a slide without it being used, quite dangerous! So their budget slide seems better. We've used alot of Mk2's and they're pretty good.

Comment

I suppose there's a fighting chance it has lost its cambarrel five-speed gearbox, you can't tell from the pictures in OBM.

Quite right, to race it you'd want electronic ignition, a Griffon clutch and proper tyres.

It wouldn't work to try and put it on the road. I've ridden one on the road and it was terrible. They don't like bumps and potholes for a start. Plus no kickstart of course. And a bit loud.

Won't be worth more than about £3K - and that's providing it has the right gearbox.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

I’m pretty sure it's got the correct 'box in Colin, I seem to remember seeing that on pictures online. I'll try find the website. It was one of the auction houses.

Out of interest, I know what a cam barrel box is worth.... but last year one went at auction for £120!....

Just picked up another gearbox for ours for the 6 speed.

It really depends how competitive you want to be, If you want to win you'll have to have serious dedication. I cant think of a more fun bike to parade though

Comment

Ahhh!!! You modern-fangled heretics! Nothing wrong with the Steffa and Albion racing clutch - I managed to win at Brands with mine (once!) We lived in shoe box and couldn't afford luxuries! Seriously though, my bike had a modified clutch when I bought it and I never had trouble with either area - it was a very reliable bike and I did a lot of races on it! Reliability went with the demise of 5 star petrol (along with quite a few RG's and TZ's!) I have to confess though, I do have a highly modified engine with piston ring oil seals and Krober ignition in the shed - should do an article for LL on it! Rob

Comment

Mine started off with an MX3 kidney box, Albion racing clutch, Steffa and Smith's mechanical tacho. By the time I sold it it had a cambarrel five-speeder, Griffon clutch, PVL ignition and a Skitsu. Plus a Mk II Concentric of course. It was quite fast.

It was the 50+ year-old rider that was slow...

Wish I still had it - 24RCS156 are you out there..?

Someone got a bargain if that five-speeder was all there - they're worth at least a grand!
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

RES Silverstone - the price

I have phoned Mick Grant to ask the price, he is asking £5000 but will take offers. At least its a good honest restoration & compared with the silly prices being paid on eBay for basket cases & rusty bitzers I would have thought it a fair price. If you are interested give Mick a ring on 07711 030109
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/01/2012, 06:11 PM. Reason: Photo added

Comment

silverstone

I think its now being sold by a dealer for £6500.00 ,on ebay

Comment

Is that it , pity the front fork metalastics are collapsing . and it only has a fourspeed box .

Chris

Comment

Mick Grant's Silverstone

Not a bad mark up £1500 (maybe more) just for taking delivery.
                          Last edited by John Wakefield; 07/02/2012, 04:09 PM. Reason: comment added

Comment

Working...
                          X