No announcement yet.

Ok, so have an extra shed now.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, so have an extra shed now.........

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1546a.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	93214Click image for larger version

Name:	CAN AM LHS.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	93215 Fancied something else a bit different, so am rebuilding this 1975 Can Am Bombardier TnT (track and trail). Was running when I got it but drinking transmission oil through worn crankshaft seals. Technically interesting, Austrian Rotax disc valve induction motor, Betor suspension, nice build quality. Jeff Smith was involved in the development and won gold medals in the ISDT on later models. It was in remarkably good condition, only 4500 miles showing on the clock (U.S. import) but age has taken its toll too, and the wiring has provided some headaches, but getting there.

Motors done with new bearings and seals, forks and brakes overhauled and on its way back together, in fact shouldn't be long until I can fire it up, but need to fit a lightweight rear silencer, the original weighs a ton and cannot be repacked easily. Lower front guard more sensible for my use too. It obviously has competition heritage, frame resembles the AJS Stormer but top tube carries 2 stroke oil, its an autolube type engine. Should be a hoot to ride, 24bhp out of a 175! road legal and a bit more focussed than the Yamaha Serow I plod about on currently.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1529a.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	93212Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1503a.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	93213

Many spares available via the 250cc Military riders. The 175s are eligible for the AMCA Classic MX but the 250s are not. Several 175s race with the Pre-65 MX Club in Essex. They don't get left behind!

Comment

Yes the 250 military was based on the TnT, great UK based website called canned-ham has a wealth of info on Can Am 2 wheelers, engine spares available here but cycle parts scarce, good following in US/Canada, unsurprisingly. If I can pick up a MX style absorbtion silencer at Kempton this weekend I'll fire it up next week, made a bit more progress this week. Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-01-15 17.27a.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	459.0 KB
ID:	93272

Comment

All done, started without too much drama, sounds good, everything works and not consuming gearbox oil any more. Which is nice.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Nice bike. My brother runs the Military Canam website to sell cycle and engine (250cc) parts. Good contact for any parts you might need. I built an enduro version of the military bike, great piece of kit and very quick with the disc valve engine.. Still have a spare frame and swinging arm powder coated in NATO green. Never needed to use it. Quite happy with my old Scottish now.
          Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Thanks, I've looked at the Military Canam website but so far haven't needed any Canam specific spares, bearings and seals came from a bearing factor, VS relined the brake shoes. mine is only 175cc but I'm impressed with the build quality and performance of the motor, Rotax UK carry spares for it also.
            Its definitely a lot more lively than my Villiers powered trials irons! but then I wouldn't want to ride a trial on it, great between sections though..........

Comment

Working...
            X