No spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No spark

No spark on 2t . Took cover of & green & blue wires coming out of stator showing earthing.
    does that mean stators had it. ?

When you say green and blue wires are earthing how are you measuring that, if with a meter the resistance of coils will show a high ohms reading which can look like a dead short but is not. Its unlikely that they both would be earthing if they had failed they would be open circuit. Try measuring AC voltage on each wire with a meter by kicking engine over, should be around 6 volt. Note you need one lead on the wire and other (earth) to crankcase

Comment

Right ill try that. The test ive done is took outer cover of, disconnected 2 wires that come out of generator, blu & green , used multimeter one probe on wire the other on crankcase & they both go straight to earth.

Comment

Just watched video on testing stator. If they go to earth theyve had it.

Comment

The coils will give a reading of about 1 ohm so almost full scale on an AVO meter (I have just checked them on an engine I have and as you say appears a dead short but its not)) You need to check them with a good quality digital meter, If you dont have one I suggest you get them checked out with an auto electrician.

Comment

How many ohms resistence should stator show.

Comment

about 1 ohm

Comment

Well, checked ohms, & 0.01 resistance, & coils are zero resistance. So knackered. I need a stator & a pair of coils.

Comment

Have you made sure the points are open when you measured resistance they need to be open (on each coil) when measuring. I would suggest you get an expert to look at it before you go buying more expensive parts, Its very rare for coils to go short circuit and then not both at same time! The HT coils will also need checking.

Comment

Well im confused now. Ive removeved stator & cleaned up. If i set multimeter on the buzz function put across stator coil it buzzes but shows a reading of 1.5. If however i set meter onto ohms scale 20, i get .04. So maybe im checking wrong

Comment

If thats 1.5 ohms then coil(s) is ok. One other check you can do is to set meter to AC volts cranking engine over on kick starter slowly you should get at least one volt, note that the ignition switch needs to be on (turned clockwise)

Comment

Ignition switch has been bypassed.
                        incidentally, the ht coils measure 06.6. & other one 57.4. So lets say stators ok & one ht coil ok. Theres still no spark. If ok then would imagine id get spark on one cylinder.
                        i,ll re assemble after ive fitted new oil seal & re try.
                        Last edited by Max black; 28/01/2024, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Its advisable to fit new ignition coils available from Britishbikes 1970 https://www.britishbikes1970.com/par...villiers-twins

Comment

Thanks pair ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by Max black View Post
                              Ignition switch has been bypassed.
                              incidentally, the ht coils measure 06.6. & other one 57.4. So lets say stators ok & one ht coil ok. Theres still no spark. If ok then would imagine id get spark on one cylinder.
                              i,ll re assemble after ive fitted new oil seal & re try.
                              When you say ignition switch has been bypassed, how do you mean ?
                              The switch in the off position earth's the points out, hence no spark. Run is open circuit, Have you just introduced your own fault ?

Comment

Working...
                              X