Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25DB restoration/rebuild help

Hi everyone
    Having stripped and blasted my 1960 25DB Sports, I/we have noticed that there is a crack in the rear drum, on the face. Fins are intact. Does anyone have a spare/replacement for sale? Or is it repairable?Click image for larger version

Name:	9a85b52e-dd1e-48d5-be30-097547aa5514.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	93134

The brake drum is made of steel. As the crack is parallel with drum rather than across it I would leave it, just make sure it has no sharp edges that would cut into brake linings. Looks more of a defect in metal rather than a crack.

Comment

Hi John Thanks for your reply. It is 'raised', so would interfere with the brake lining on braking, I think.

Comment

Dear Mike

get it tig welded and machined.

Comment

Originally posted by pqrst View Post
          Hi John Thanks for your reply. It is 'raised', so would interfere with the brake lining on braking, I think.
          Have just read the responses to your Facebook enquiry on this subject. Looks like the steel drum has been machined to its limit and is now very thin and breaking up. I suppose it could be machined out to the alloy finned casting and a liner pressed in, BUT this may put undue stress on the alloy casting and cause it to crack, but worth a try as you have nothing to loose, the finned part is cast onto the steel hub so cannot be fitted to another steel hub so would be scrap. Maybe option 1 may be best bet, find a good replacement hub. Looking at the Greeves paddle hub drawing there are two 1/16" radius grooves machined in the outer diameter of the steel hub, presumably to key the alloy casting onto the steel hub. So it looks like its these that are breaking through.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 06/01/2023, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X