Project Thumper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

somebody put their unwelcome size ten Jack boot in to

Would suggest if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen or post private.
    Regards
    Merlin

Comment

OK guys, calm down. Seems to me you can approach your classic motorcycle sport from whichever angle suits you.

Personally I never had much cash to spend when I was road racing my Silverstone. Wasn't that much of a rider either if truth be told. But I still enjoyed going round in the mid-field somewhere. Just being out there was good enough for me, and there's always going to be a like-minded soul or two to have a dice with.

But good luck to those who have the resources and skill to ride up front.
      Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 25/02/2011, 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Adrian, yes, we were having a good chat, sorry for the disturbance, i think its my ariel. dave

Comment

Nice one Dave, I think we must be on a similar wave length, but I'm not sure if it's Digital or Analogue. Point taken Colin, looks like we're back to normal now, till the next time.

Comment

Dave, I've just revisited your very funny oneliner. "Hi Adrian, yes, we were having a good chat, sorry for the disturbance, i think its my ariel." I hadn't realised you set me up nicely for the reply which should have been, I think ariel could have been spelt with a capital "A". So apologies for missing that. Since then I've been thinking a little about "similar wavelengths". I've come to the conclusion that we probably shouldn't be understanding one another at all. You see, I'm still running on Points ignition, which I suspect would be an Analogue signal, whereas you're on electronic which would definitely be Digital. But hey, "Vive la difference" is what I say.
            Are you still receiving me?

Comment

Good to hear from Adrian, just recieved your telegram stop!!
              I`m glad to see the interference has moved on to another region & hopefully will not return to this area
              Just posted on kims thread on mk2 griffs, as a fellow griffster what do you reckon?
              I`m hoping to bring the bike up the agm, see what the response is, its not one for the purists, thats for sure, but ive said that all along, my main aim this year is to just ride this one bike, i`m not taking the griff or the c25 out.
              This is it, i`m gonna ride it all summer & see if i can get the best out of it.
              mixing bikes for different meets is all right if your up to par with everything, but this will be only my 2nd season back after far to many years & have go back to basics a bit ( if you know what i mean ).
              Thanks for the positive interest though. dave.
              analogue!!!!, i think i used to go out with her daughter?

Comment

Mk11 Griffs? your on unknown territory as far as I'm concerned. I think they were a last desperate attempt by the factory to keep up with the considerable oppositon of the time. It was about then that I called it a day, 1976, after six years of great fun that had to give way to a small family and huge mortgage, 15% interest rates then. With no regrets and absolutely no intention of starting again as the sport was changing so dramatically. So to now enjoy once again the sport, that I knew as it was, for the last 25 years has been an absolute revelation and I enjoy it more now than even first time around.
                I don't blame you for concentrating on one bike for this year, 'cos the more bikes you have, the less time you have for one bike bike, your time just gets diluted between them all. I reckon it takes a season to sort a bike out once put together. Mind you that could just be from where I come from, "Suffolk and Slow" is the saying and I can associate with that, Apart from DB of course, who perhaps made up for the rest of us.
                Now, about Analogues daughter, I hope you survived the experience unscathed, I had heard, that as well as being of Dutch descent she had at sometime suffered from a Van-ariel complaint.

Comment

Ha Ha!!! nice one... (Van ariel ), but thats what i`ve been itching to tell you, it wasn`t Anna log it was Ann Tenna...
                  But on a serious note, what sort of front shocks are you using, are the origanal girlings still the best or is there cheaper alternative, i`m think i put 50 shore bushes in & but the shocks although look new are possibly weak or tired.
                  Dave.

Comment

Like your sense of humour Dave, it's in a different league to mine, hope you're not as adept at scrambling or I'm going to be eating some serious grit, not to mention shale and flint, at Mortimer this summer.
                    Regarding shocks, I stumbled upon those made by DOT, the rear end ones, of about 12" length. Because I weigh B*gger all I get away without any damping on the downward stroke. If you are running a heavier engine then some damping would probably suit better, but I've no idea how much or how this might be specified. Certainly when the bushes are pinned in place the max distance achievable between the centres of the shock mounting points is 11&5/8", if you try for any more then your shocks will just foul against the down tube. The Dot variety fit quite nicely as they are about as narrow as they come, larger diameter varieties might not allow quite so much travel.
                    Not sure if they are still manufacturing but looking in my little black book of phone numbers 0161 834 5472 is listed against their name. The last pair I bought were about £60, so they won't take you for a ride, like Ann Tenna did. Hope this helps. Just don't start me laughing when we're in the box at Mortimer 'cos I wouldn't want to miss the gate when it drops, OK.

Comment

hi everybody, just a few more pics of the bike, its got a few more hours work yet, oil, fuel pipes, couple of bits here & there & i`ve got to source some sort of slim line air filter.
                      but its basically there, the camera does not really show the colours as they are, which is a shame.
                      it seems like quite a while ago that i started it, & i have not been able to spend as much time on it as i would have liked, but its coming on fast now & its going to gets first test burn in the week, so fingers crossed its right first time.
                      Can anyone help, i bought a set of tank badges off the guy in the exeter hall car park at the agm & the last thing he said to me was that he`d checked to make sure i had a pair, so i didn`t look & wot have i got, thats right two right handers.
                      I know he sells them on ebay, but he`s not advertising at present, so if anyone knows how to contact him it would be much appreciated. dave.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                        hi everybody, just a few more pics of the bike, its got a few more hours work yet, oil, fuel pipes, couple of bits here & there & i`ve got to source some sort of slim line air filter.
                        but its basically there, the camera does not really show the colours as they are, which is a shame.
                        it seems like quite a while ago that i started it, & i have not been able to spend as much time on it as i would have liked, but its coming on fast now & its going to gets first test burn in the week, so fingers crossed its right first time.
                        Can anyone help, i bought a set of tank badges off the guy in the exeter hall car park at the agm & the last thing he said to me was that he`d checked to make sure i had a pair, so i didn`t look & wot have i got, thats right two right handers.
                        I know he sells them on ebay, but he`s not advertising at present, so if anyone knows how to contact him it would be much appreciated. dave.
                        Hi Dave,

I think the guy's ebay name is powell8151. If you go to the advanced search of ebay and do a search on seller's name you should find it.

The bike looks superb, like a factory-made model! Well done.

Cheers,
                        Andrew

Comment

Yep this is his last eBay listing http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Greeves-Tank-Badges-/250791294253 should be able to send him an eBay PM via link

Comment

many thanks

Comment

Project Thumper

The guys name is Paul Powell very helpful.His web site is
                              www.cottonvilliersspares.co.uk Lots of villiers and greeves stuff .Great looking bike
                              Last edited by trialrider17; 17/04/2011, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Looking really good, Dave. A credit to your bike-building skills. Pleased to see the tank put to such good use!

Regards,

John

Comment

Working...
                                X