Challenger 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenger 360

I bought a 360 Challenger recently, It was in a pretty sorry state cosmetically having been stored in a garage for over 20 years. It came with a spare engine (unfortunately no spare gearbox)
    I have replaced all the bearings and seals, Nametab crank bearings, Nametab griffon clutch.
    The frame, engine, clutch cases etc were stripped by http://www.paint-strip.co.uk/strip_bike.html and powder coated by Vanden powder coatings 01942 818953.
    I bought a royal Enfield (Indian) front wheel with twin leading shoe brake and Jeff at KB wheels 01204 844204 laced aWM2 x 19" allot rim to it and a WM3 x 18" alloy rim to the back hub using butted stainless spokes.
    The fuel tank had been repaired underneath and felt rather "mushy" when pressed so Tony at Holt works is making me a replica in polished aluminium http://www.holtworks.co.uk/
    Tyres are Continental classic attack

As I bought it

Front wheel before new rim and spokes

I should have said I am building this bike as a super moto style road bike

Comment

Gribley...have you thought about going into advertising....

Comment

2 steps forward and one back, see my bent swing arm thread.
        I have turned up the spacers to get my back wheel in line, the spacers and brake anchor to fit the Royal Enfield front wheel and made a start on my alloy chain gaurd. It's basically a length of 40mm x 60mm x 3mm alloy angle extending from the front of the swing arm to just beyont the rear sprocket. It should keep the chain lube off me.
        The "bobbin" spacers for the head nuts are rusty as F**k so I will be turning some up out of alloy
        I dropped my barrel, head and bottom end off at Mick Abbey tuning for a bit of "freshening" and tidying of the ports.

Comment

I like the idea of that. The 360 would certainly be a head turner.

David.

Originally posted by gribley View Post
          I should have said I am building this bike as a super moto style road bike

Comment

My new spacers are in. The back wheel is in line with the front and the chain line is within 2mm.
            Although I have refurbed the forks, Greeves supplied new stanchions, seals and springs. I have bought a set of Griffon banana forks from the states. Challengers look so much better with banana forks

Comment

This is my Ignition/lighting magneto from Power Dynamo.
              I made the housing from a piece of 4 1/2" dia alloy bar. It produced a bin bag full of swarf. The cover is a Griffon motoplat, I narrowed it by removing the raised portion. I bought the cover and the retaining band from TDS. The coil and regulator will reside under the seat[IMG][/IMG]
              [IMG][/IMG]
              [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Hi, be interested to know how you get on with the ignition, I'll be looking to purchase a system for this MX4 next year. It's road registered so the lighting option appeals......
                Attached Files

Comment

I could have used the original backplate as per the instructions on the Power Dynamo web site and made a press on ring to fit the bigger cover. But I had the piece of alloy and it made sense to use it.
                  I had to put the crank in the lathe to clock up the taper then I bored the rotor to suit

Where did you get yor expansion chamber? It's Gawjus and I need one

Comment

Originally posted by gribley View Post

Where did you get yor expansion chamber? It's Gawjus and I need one
                    Looks just like a Kevin Felle chamber, otherwise known as Circle F exhausts, from Houston, Texas. Very reasonable prices.

Comment

It is indeed a Circle F job, well, part of it is.
                      360cc Bultaco pipe from them with one-off front pipes and two in to one collector box made in Yorkshire to suit remaining silencer section once I'd cut off the Bultaco singular down pipe
                      Haven't done anything to this bike for a number of years now, but, need to get it done next year as its a shame to leave it stood part finished.
                      It was cheaper to import the Bultaco pipe direct from the States rather than go through the UK stockist / agent at the time.
                      I was really pleased with the fit, measured up one on a Bultaco at the Classic Off Road show one year and thought it would do the trick.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Buying from Texas is a sore subject today.
                        I bought a set of forks on the 1st Dec. since then I have followed them on the online tracking. From Lockhart Tx they travelled through Austin Tx, Chicago Ill on to Newark Ny where they boarded a flight to London, arriving on 8th Dec.
                        My forks then sat in customs until 15th Dec. Yipee I thought I will get them soon, no such luck, the next post on the tracking "payment of charges-item being held, adressee being notified" I have not been notified by email so I assume they will notify me by snail mail, probably 2nd class, lost in the Xmas post. GRRRRRRRRRRRR I WANT MY FORKS NOW

Comment

Is this USPS turning into Parcel Force once it hits the UK?
                          If so the parcel usually will be sent from the arrival centre post customs clearance to your nearest depot where if you have the tracking number and 2 proofs of ID one with a photo you can pay the charge and take your parcel away without having to produce the documentation they send out to you.
                          Being impatient I never wait for the letter detailing the charges to arrive...... Hope this helps......
                          Fed-ex is a better but sometimes more expensive way of getting parcels straight to your door.
                          Had an engine come from San Diego to my door in just over 48 hrs a few years back with Fed-ex.
                          Last edited by Gr11mpy; 16/12/2014, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Still no contact from Parcel Farce, so this afternoon I rang them to confirm my package was at Preston depot. I then drove over, parted with £35 and rescued my forks.
                            I am now the proud owner of a set of banana forks, I ordered a pair of Falcon shocks to compliment the rears.
                            Tonight I have made a centre for the brake plate to accept steel backed PTFE wrapped bushes to allow the brake plate to pivot. The torque arm is made from stainless steel rod with stainless steel rose joints

Comment

Pleased you got the Bananas ok. Please post pictures of the front wheel & torque arm assembly once you've got it sorted....

Comment

Working...
                              X