No announcement yet.

Griffon QUB rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am administering the single malt now in preparation of the almost surgery like engineering skill I am about to attempt.
    Just hope I remember to look for the washer behind the clutch

Comment

• Gotta say, i`m impressed with the level of accuracy you boys work to....one micron either way & the jobs in the bin.........

Comment

• Hi Dave, I have drank many a single malt but never come across the one called Micron. Is it one of those new fangled Japanese ones??

Comment

• The single malt has been locked away and only white wine has been administered to keep motivation at an all time high and accuracy at an acceptable level.

I have finished the QUB.
          Here are some pictures
          Attached Files

Comment

• more pictures
            Attached Files

Comment

• The bad news is that I could not get the bugger started. I suppose that I always wanted to make sure all the bits where there and then sort out properly. Its had the usual new piton, rings, rebore, big end, side bearings and seals but it maybe needs the name tab conversion done as the crank was a little pitted.
              The real reason it won't start ( it caught twice and went BANG!!!!) is that it needs the spark sorted out so TDS (come on Paula) ignition to the rescue I hope.
              Its back on the ramp for now. Full story to follow and will post video when finally sorted.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by griffon380; 06/04/2015, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• Looking forward to seeing them out on the track soon !

Brilliant work Craig - I really enjoyed looking through those pictures -

BTW where did you get the GREEVES transfers on the Ceriani's? Cool

Assume you are going for PaulaVL ignition - it is the way to go

Suggest you celebrate with a finest Japanese 10 year old MICRON

Comment

• Thanks Kim,

The stickers came with the forks but I think I seen them on ebay stateside a few weeks ago. These are the forks that came with the parts bike I bought from the states which ended up being the rebuilt 250 in the other pictures if you follow. They have no springs and the bounce is created by air. I put 30psi in them and they work??? but I don't know what oil or how much oil to put in to improve them.

I will go with the PL ignition and email TDS with the request.

The 10 year old micron has been substituted with a 36 year old itchyfanny, its a blended malt from the southern regions of China.

Comment

• Can someone please advise what size and type of die I need to ask for to clean up the threads on the ignition side of the crank. Also need a nut.
                    Even though I am a nut for making a mess of it in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
                      Can someone please advise what size and type of die I need to ask for to clean up the threads on the ignition side of the crank. Also need a nut.
                      Even though I am a nut for making a mess of it in the first place.
                      Simon Bateman or Terry Sewell will have a nut, no idea on the thread, sorry!
                      All looking good, an nearly ready to go!

Comment

• Have started dismantling again, almost looks too good not to work but I suppose what matters is inside. obviously black magic or witchcraft inside making a spark.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• So moving to the clutch side to dismantle and separate the gearbox to try and fix. This is what impact drivers can do to 2o year old set screw heads. A one minute job suddenly turns to a 20 minute one.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Easy outs to the rescue. next thing I know I will be using these new fangled helicoil thingy ma jigs. But then its not a girlie engine so there is plenty of meat for re-tapping if I need to.

Can someone help me find some replacements? Even let me know the size and thread type so that I can help myself?
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Now that the clutch is off, look at the well used back plate. Still good enough for a couple of seasons but replacement should be lined up soon.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Hopefully here is a photograph of the washer that Andrew (Andy Z) was advising me about four or five posts ago. It might have been present all along but there must have been too much accuracy enabling fluid (7 or 8 posts back) to remember putting it there.
                                Andrew please confirm
                                A. correct washer
                                B. Micron is a cheap vodka and not a single malt
                                C. Dave's plastic mudguards are heavier than alloys therefore make his bike slow.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X