Griffon QUB rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Kim,
    I feel enthusiasm starting to coarse through my veins, or maybe thats still the whisky from the weekend

Comment

• The new Preston Petty kit is available in the USA from the Hodaka parts supplier, but I think you will find they now have a PP named website. NOT CHEAP, but the quality is as good as before, I'm reliably informed.

Comment

• They're here:

Comment

• Mudguards

Hi Craig,

Check with Autocycle Egineering (sales@auto-cycle.co.uk), they supplied me guards for my Pathfinder and were Geeves style, not C not D but with a flat section(not as flat as D).

Mike.
          Last edited by MikeV; 04/03/2015, 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

• Thanks Mike, I will give them a try before I go over to the "dark side" (plastic)

Comment

• Alloy Mudguards advertised as suitable for Greeves - another source.

Hi Craig,

Here's another potential source of alloy mudguards for you to check out;

I honestly don't know if they're suitable for your Griff, but JB advertises them in various sections, including some suitable for Greeves (scroll down to see options), so may be worth a call.

Hope this helps mate, and you can't give up now!! Besides, I've nearly finished knitting you and the lads some smashing new 'headgear' for the coming season.....if you can get 'em past (passed?) scrutineeerung that is..... Jus kip drinkin th wisky bud, it'll all shtart ter mayke shensse...!! (hic!)

Brian.

Comment

• Mudguards

Hi Brian,
                When I spoke to Autocycle Engineering about alloy guards they told me they hold original drawings for Greeves mudguards and they supply John Budgen , I even had to give them John's telephone number as they had mislayed theirs.
                It was John that gave me the info' about Autocycle Engineering and that it was his suppliers.

Mike.

Comment

• A/C Engineering - JB M/c etc.

Hi Mike,

Yes indeed.....further, I understand that Autocycle Engineering also have the 'original' Greeves rollers/tooling too.....

Interesting what you said about 'phone numbers' too....reminds me of a (erm...) 'interesting chat' I once had with the above company when I was merely seeking some advice.....

I've always found JB very helpful, by the way.

Still...'speak as you find', as the saying goes.....

Brian.

Comment

• Mudguards

Brian,

Having purchased a pair of guards from A/C engineering and comparing them with the guards that were on the bike, which I beleive were the originals, they matched up very well.

I also found JB helpfull a great person to talk to.

Mike.

Comment

• Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
                      Thanks Mike, I will give them a try before I go over to the "dark side" (plastic)
                      Dark side?....come on over craig....all your friends are waiting for you.......you know it makes sense! plastic!...its the only way.....

Comment

• The Dark Side.....

Did somebody mention emu's and I missed it.......???

Brian.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 05/03/2015, 08:59 AM. Reason: Plastic emu added....

Comment

• The Shiny Side.....

Hey Craig,

Just a heads up that I've uploaded some more factory info sheets today (amongst other bits and bobs), and one covers alloy mudguards for various Greeves models, including some Griffon type dimensions. It doesn't mention profiles sadly, but still may be of some use to you. See post #16, here; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...3489#post23489

Of potential further interest to the Griffon crew are the info sheets covering gearboxe dismantling and servicing, which can be found on the same thread as linked above. See posts #16 and #17.

Hope this info proves interesting/useful chaps.

.....oh yeah Dave, you can get metal Emu's as well, but this one looks like it needs a polish....

Brian.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 06/03/2015, 02:31 PM. Reason: Metal emu attached......

Comment

• Thanks Brian all useful info !! although the best gearbox service tip is to get Geoff Nunn to do it !! - - full recon and service for the Griffon box and clutch rebuild for a very reasonable price plus service sheet to go with it - (further up the post)

I remember attempting to replace a bent MS on a Griffon box a couple of years ago - swearing late into the night in the garage - over shim's spacers and which way did this bit go etc etc.....Called Geoff and he talked me through it over the phone! - like air traffic control talking a stricken aircraft's pilot into land
                            Could not speak higher of him and Dave Harper - two Greeves superstars !

p.s over the weekend I will be putting the Griffon back together - ie head on and install engine in frame.......I will share some insights on the pro's and con's of the Maico piston/Conrod conversion vs standard Greeves QUB in the members only area...........it's not all plain sailing !!
                            Last edited by Kim275; 06/03/2015, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Can I also add a big thanks to Brian, I have already printed the gearbox drawing A1 size. A bit blurred but great for the garage wall and don't need my glasses to see it.
                              As I have said before, my intention is to get both bikes fired up and make sure new pistons and rebores and clutch set up are ok with a quick strip down and inspection after running them for a few hours. During the strip down if the gearboxes are dodgy then I will send them off to Sir Nunn if he can help.

I got the exhausts back from the blasters today so pictures tomorrow or Sunday of them in place. Although my son got me a dvd of the new "On any Sunday" film so might not get as much done as I plan
                              Going to look at the mud guards now Brian.
                              Also really enjoying the photo's of the legend BW. Thanks Brian.

Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
                                Thanks Brian all useful info !! although the best gearbox service tip is to get Geoff Nunn to do it !! - - full recon and service for the Griffon box and clutch rebuild for a very reasonable price plus service sheet to go with it - (further up the post)

I remember attempting to replace a bent MS on a Griffon box a couple of years ago - swearing late into the night in the garage - over shim's spacers and which way did this bit go etc etc.....Called Geoff and he talked me through it over the phone! - like air traffic control talking a stricken aircraft's pilot into land
                                Could not speak higher of him and Dave Harper - two Greeves superstars !

p.s over the weekend I will be putting the Griffon back together - ie head on and install engine in frame.......I will share some insights on the pro's and con's of the Maico piston/Conrod conversion vs standard Greeves QUB in the members only area...........it's not all plain sailing !!
                                Kim , one of the downsides of the maico piston conversion, is that you seem to get a considerable build up of hair underneath the skirt!.......

Comment

Working...
                                X