Griffon QUB rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back again

Ok, finally got back to the workshop and the two Griffon's.
    Started with fitting the original exhausts and seeing if I need to fabricate new or stick with old. As everyone has worked out by now I am sorting these two out to go round a track and look as nice as possible but not squeaky clean show models.
    Thanks to Johnu (new member) I might be able to fix my QUB exhaust but maybe will try a new stainless steel fabrication.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Quick photo of the one that I have had for 28 years, and she broke my sixth vertebrae. Maybe I will get round to staring her next.
      Attached Files

Comment

• At the stage now where I thought I would check out the gear boxes (I know I should have done it before now but its my first time). I connected the final drive chain to the 250 and filled box with oil. Perfect selection up and down but overflow screw would not tighten so needs a bloody strip down.
        The QUB gear box after oil and chain refused to do anything but select first and neutral.
        Now the smart people and the experienced people will immediately tell me that I should have checked all this out before I stuck the engines in the frame but I just wanted to start these two engines up after 20 years of sitting in boxes that sense got the better of me.
        I am still going to start them (and u tube it if I can work it out) and then strip down and hopefully send the gear boxes off to he who knows best. This way I know at least one half of the engine is working.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Cleaning the air box and finding the holes that let all the shit in that wrecked the engine in the first place.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Should I go original or use the wheel that came with the bike from America?
            Attached Files

Comment

• Craig, thats a very old akront rim you have there, back in the old days, instead of modern day rim locks, they used to drill through the rim, & screw into the tyre, to reduce tyre to rim movement, ( you can see the screw in your pic, aboiut 9 o clock, ) so i`d say, if the rim is true & good condtion, then sell it to me & fit some modern repro rubbish.....

Comment

• Thanks Dave, its a bit buckled but you will be able to see it for yourself as you lap me.
                Its all yours if I can clean the rusty shit of the rim I have.

Comment

• Craig... i was joking, you can true up buckled rim easy, & thats a good flanged rim, even if it has to be stripped & straightened its still worth doing, if you send it to me, i`ll set it true, for you, as long as it has the bare bones of life left in it....

Comment

• Thanks for the kind offer Dave,
                    Lets leave it until we meet. It will be a great ice breaker.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by griffon380; 08/02/2015, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
                      Should I go original or use the wheel that came with the bike from America?
                      I would use it! I am thinking about building my wheels up using alloy rims on the 250.

Comment

• my QUB wheels post re-firb

Finally caving into the sledging form Higgo - (and actually cos some of my spokes were knackered and with a bent rear spindle risked a nasty collapse)
                        I had my QUB wheels overhauled....just some newly lined shies to fit ...............and a new rear spindle to replace the bent one and will go back into the frame, hopefully without the need for Gaffer tape and cable ties (although u never know )
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Sorry for the thread jack but those wheels look great Kim! The rims look like non-shouldered aluminium, what make are they?

Comment

• There someone elses...aren`t they!

Yes kim...looking good, are they the morad rims, good quality spanish kit
                            If you keep this sort of maintenance up, then it looks possible the amca might not have to sweep so much of your bike up off the track in between races.........

Comment

• Is Higgo Right or Wrong ?

Either way he is vey funny !!!
                              Higgo you have many faults ..... But by god "being wrong" isn't one of them !!!
                              They are indeed Morad ally rims all my own yes indeed same ones I have been usin since I bought and started racing this bike in 2008 !

Comment

• Some TLC on my QUB Side panels

They will still need cable ties unless i can obtain some Zeus fastners...any ideas guys?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X