Challenger/BSA Hybrid Woods Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Both,
    It is the bike from Leading Link. It's out at 744cc on original Devimead barrels, lightened and end fed crank conversion, big valve head, close ratio gearbox etc. etc. Won't bore you with all the details.
    I'm on with the final build of the bike. Hope to have it at Battlesbridge.
    I'll post more pictures once I have the engine back in the chassis as it's in the final stages of being re-assembled following a coat of black paint and the engine covers being polished. Frustratingly it's putting up quite some resistance into going back together!
    Surprisingly the engine does sit central in the chassis and the chain alignment is ok. It is a very heavy lump tho' in comparison to the unit 500 Triumphs. Needless to say I've got the engine 'tied in to the frame' in a number of places with quite substantial supports. Anyhow.... to the workshop...
    Attached Files

Comment

Very, very tastefull, i must say! looks well suited to the challenger frame, great side pipes.
      Is the kick start arrangement gonna be the same, fold back the foot peg & start as with the griffons?
      Can`t wait to see this on the track soon! dave.

Comment

Thanks for the comments Dave.
        The post '71 BSA Singles aftermarket folding kickstart will fit.
        I'm not sure about seeing the bike on a race track, unless it's in a straight line possibly going up a hill.
        I think that there's more chance of seeing it in my living room if I could lift it over the 6" front doorstep.
        Seriously tho', I think Colin Sparrow was absolutely correct when he first saw pictures of the bike some time ago now and suggested a 18" front rim with twin leading shoe brake hub, road tyres front and rear and suitable road gearing, a kind of retro super-moto machine. I'm now giving this some serious thought.

Comment

Thats a shame, there are a few 750`s doing the circuits, & plenty of 650`s, & most of them don`t look as up for it as yours.
          I guess, the it depends what it handles like i suppose, but whichever way you go, use it, its to nice to be put away again, better apologise to grumph for hijacking his thread & steer it back on course...

Comment

Gr11umpy,
            That is a great looking project you've got going, there!
            I think the retro-motard idea is excellent.

Thanks for the pictures and advice, all.
            I definitely have some ideas to explore, now.
            Hopefully have some updates in progress by Sunday pm,

Comment

Working...
            X