Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24MX2 Restoration and History

Hi Guys,
    I need your expertise, especially you Chris (riffleman)
    I have purchased from ebay a 1965 MX2 Frame number 24MX645. It was originally purchased from Claude Scott Motorcycles in Cambridge and it is believed that Freddie Mayes rode it in the 1966 ACU British Championship. The story goes that it was originally painted blue and as he kept winning on it and the 66 models where green, the factory had it resprayed green, This seems as if it could be true, because when stripping the paint from the frame, underneath the green was blue paint. This is where Chris might be able to help.
    The interesting part. It is fitted with an AMC gearbox and clutch, very proffessionally done. It has also got plates attached to the inside of the crankcases to raise the primary compression. The flywheels have also been lightened to accomadate the plates. The carb has been bored out, making it a lot larger than the 32mm stamped on the outside. It has ceriani forks with alloy mudguards and the back loop that has been fitted has nuts braised to it to take the number plates. Also the rear brake plate is fully floating. One other interesting thing. I picked up the really narrow folding footrests expecting them to be quite heavy, as they are quite chunky, but to my surprise they were quite light.
    I have been informed that there is a picture of this bike in one of the old blue motorcycle magazine, we think it could be in 1966. If anyone has these could they see if they could find it. Also it appears Greeves experimented with three of these machines with AMC gearboxes and placed an order for 100. But unfortunatly the factory went into liquidation I am told.

Now you can see why I bought it. Am going to contact Freddie see if he can throw any light on it. My intension is to rebuild it so that Freddie can have a ride on it at the Suffolk Grand National Scramble at Marks Tey in May.

Will eagerly await your info. Terry Sewell

Terry ,

This bike came up on e-bay some long time ago , I believe it was supplied to Claud Scott and used by Fred as a supported rider of Scotts .

There is no documentation to say it is an ex. Works , Fred doesn't even remember it .

I would class it as dealer supported bike .

Cheers , Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris, but what about the Norton AMC gearbox. Any knowledge of that.
      Terry

Comment

Terry ,

The only non Albion boxes I have known fitted were BSA plunger twin boxes , Frits Selling had one .

DPC contacted BSA to buy boxes , they said yes but changed their minds , they saw it as a retrograde step .

Chris

Comment

MX2 rebuild

Hi Chris,
          Had a word with Freddie at a recent trial. As you said it is not one that he had ridden. So another one with false information.
          But I have never seen one with a norton gearbox and manx clutch. so i am going to rebuild it just for intrests sake.

Terry Sewell

Comment

Hi Terry ,

There a few about with the BSA gearbox conversion , it would be an interesting project .

Chris

Comment

Terry ,

This one with a BSA gearbox is on e-bay now , the seller is the son of Bryan Goss .

Chris

Comment

Working...
              X