Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member First Post

Hi all GRA members

Have been a member for a about a year, this is my first attempt at a post, so be gentle, if I mess it up.

I have, what I believe to be, a largely complete, un-restored 1961 MCS. Frame number 61/3832 c/w 34A serial No 305D/1972.
    Missing the Ally tank, has Hawkstone satin chrome instead, numerous nuts and bolts, the rear brake rod (though I have the rear brake pedal assembly) and side stand are also missing.
    I have an exhaust but its not original and includes my teenager metalwork project, expansion chamber...
    The handle bars came with the bike, are extra wide and also clearly not original.

I have had the bike since about 1976, (it came from Derbyshire via my late grandfather) and was used as a field bike in the South East, for a couple of years.
    Family moved to the North East and bike was stored, until about 8 years ago when a friend ask if he could restore it.
    Long story short, the restoration never happened and what remained of the bike has now finally been returned to me.

What you see (if the photos upload) is a quick reassembly of the various boxes to see what remains and whats missing.

The plan is a full restoration, the bike is a year older than myself, with many teenage memories, so worth the investment of time and money to me

I suspect this will be a long process, but I'm in for the long haul!

Thanks for looking

Attached Files

Welcome to the forum. A nice complete machine. You are lucky that the distinct air box is complete. Are you restoring it to ride ? Tank should be repairable. Mudguards, and other cycle parts are available from British Bikes 1970. They have a good website. Good luck in your quest.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
      Welcome to the forum. A nice complete machine. You are lucky that the distinct air box is complete. Are you restoring it to ride ? Tank should be repairable. Mudguards, and other cycle parts are available from British Bikes 1970. They have a good website. Good luck in your quest.
      Thank you for the welcome

The Garda Air box is complete minus filter, though I have never managed to understand how it was ever connected to the carb. Some form of rubber tubing I guess?

The Restoration will be to have a rideable bike, private land only I suspect, as its never been registered for the road.

I have spent alot (to much) time researching sources of spare parts etc. Some things like the exhaust may well require some bespoke fabrication.
      As currently Midlands based, will probably start with an engine rebuild at Villiers Services, then wheel rebuilds, tank/seat restoration etc.
      I'm sure Gary Bamford at British Bikes 1970 will be getting a few calls as well.

The frame I am currently aiming to attempt myself, but very happy to take advice on the best way forward.

Thanks again

Comment

If you need any photos of a restored mcs or photos of any part email me
        Gary Bamford

Comment

Hi JAD100,

That's a great first post, and welcome to the forum.

Regarding your query as to how the GARDA air box is connected to the carb you are correct, and if you click the link to the thread below and scroll down to POST 9 there is a factory pic that clearly shows the arrangement. Wanted; MDS type Air Filter, or similar. - Greeves Riders Association Forums (greeves-riders.org.uk)

Also, you may find this article of interest. It's not one of my best uploads but there's some useful info there. As you'll see, I did a further attachment with enlarged text as it came out a bit small in the original pics. 'Tim Griffin's Greeves MCS' - Article. - Greeves Riders Association Forums (greeves-riders.org.uk)

Oh well, it's a start and hope it helps! I'll try and find some other relevant links for you to check out.

Good luck with your Greeves and hope you have a lot of enjoyment with it.

Brian. ​

Comment

Originally posted by garybam4711 View Post
            If you need any photos of a restored mcs or photos of any part email me
            Gary Bamford
            Hi Gary

Thank you for your kind offer, I may very well take you up on it, as I get into the 'nuts and bolts' of the restoration.
            I'm currently making lists and pricing up, the bits that are missing; Chain guard, chain guide, rear brake rod etc.etc (its a long list)
            And your site is extremely helpful now I have the parts list.
            Strangely when not in my possession, it seems one of lots of nuts and/or bolts has been removed and lost?
            So scratching my head over the glorious imperial thread and nut sizes, though all part of the fun!

Many thanks again for your offer and interest.

Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
              Hi JAD100,

That's a great first post, and welcome to the forum.

Regarding your query as to how the GARDA air box is connected to the carb you are correct, and if you click the link to the thread below and scroll down to POST 9 there is a factory pic that clearly shows the arrangement. Wanted; MDS type Air Filter, or similar. - Greeves Riders Association Forums (greeves-riders.org.uk)

Also, you may find this article of interest. It's not one of my best uploads but there's some useful info there. As you'll see, I did a further attachment with enlarged text as it came out a bit small in the original pics. 'Tim Griffin's Greeves MCS' - Article. - Greeves Riders Association Forums (greeves-riders.org.uk)

Oh well, it's a start and hope it helps! I'll try and find some other relevant links for you to check out.

Good luck with your Greeves and hope you have a lot of enjoyment with it.

Brian. ​
              Hi Brian

Thank you for the welcome, that fantastic article, and the answer to the Garda air box connection.
              Nice to see I'm not the only one fascinated by the little MCS.

The encyclopedic knowledge on these forums is inspiring and a godsend.

Many thanks again

Jamie

Comment

Hi Jamie,

My pleasure, and glad the info was useful to you.

As I mentioned, I'll see what else I can find for you to check out.

Brian.

Comment

Hi Jamie,

Here's another link to be going on with, this time a factory brochure for the 24MCS with specifications etc.

Scroll down to POST 48 on this thread and you'll see it there; Greeves Factory Brochures. - Greeves Riders Association Forums (greeves-riders.org.uk)

Brian.​

Comment

Hi Jamie,

I was hoping to find some further info on 24MCS/MDS models that I posted on here years ago, but as it looks like it has been deleted as part of an old thread (I'm guessing) I've re-scanned and uploaded it along with some additional new content for you.

This is the main thread; Greeves 24MCS and 24 MDS Articles From LL 21. - Greeves Riders Association Forums (greeves-riders.org.uk)

You may like this one as well, especially post 54; Greeves Art! - Greeves Riders Association Forums (greeves-riders.org.uk)
                    (It would look great in a frame on your workshop wall ​as a bit of inspiration for your rebuild!)

Hope this helps,

Brian.
                    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 21/11/2023, 01:22 PM. Reason: Links attached.

Comment

Working...
                    X