Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello GRA members I am Nick, I've recently joined the GRA.
    My first two motorcycles were Villiers powered. I have always hankered after a Greeves road bike and
    attended the recent auction of Tony East's collection at Stafford.
    I failed to buy the Greeves I wanted but now have bought a DB24 with a 32A engine.

I haven't ridden it yet, a few things need sorting out. The head is off to check the timing.
    It has a lots of compression and kicks back frequently.
    The head is a squish type, is this standard for the 32A ?
    Nick

Hi Nick welcome aboard I assume this is the bike a 24DC not DB there was no DB in the auction. https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/281...-no-452d-2709/ It has at some point been fitted with '25DD 'Essex' fibreglass tank and mudguards, it would originally have had a steel tank and alloy guards. The problem is that fibreglass dissolves with ethanol so you may care to look out for an original steel tank, tank sealers dont work well on fibreglass particularly one that has had petroil in it. The head should have a pear shaped combustion chamber. It has a Manx reg so assuming you are on the mainland UK (maybe you could say where) you will need to revert back to its UK number JSK868 its on the DVLA last tax expired 1/4/95. If you dont have an old V5c you should apply to DVLA on form V62 you can down load one here https://assets.publishing.service.go...ertificate.pdf One other thing check it has oil in gearbox and chaincase, it has been known for museum bikes to be drained of oil! Use SAE40 in gearbox and 10/40 SAE in chaincase. Engine use 25:1 mix on mineral 2 stroke oil such as Comma 2 stroke. Hope it all works out ok.

Comment

Hello John, thanks for the welcome.
      I was interested in the 250 Prototype at the auction but the bids exceeded what I wanted to pay. I had already seen the 250DB elsewhere and decided to buy that and maybe do some engine mods, similar to the prototype.
      It is a '60 model, the frame number is 60/.... registered in Nov '59 by Comerfords. The bill of sale when Comerfords sold it in March '60 desicribes it as 'new'.I suppose it was a demonstrator.
      The new owner had issues with the performance. There is a letter from Villiers saying that the machine was unsuitable for road use as it had a trials engine and gearbox and asked for the engine to be returned to them.
      I'm hoping to give it a run soon
      Thanks for your message and sorry for the confusion
      Nick

Comment

So it was not the bike in the Tony East auction! can you give me the full number to see if its on survivors list.(PM it to me if you dont want to give it here.)

Comment

Thanks got PM & number its a 24DB Sports single with 32A engine.(the original)

Comment

Hi Nick
            I cannot send pictures on here if you PM me your email I will send some pictures that could be of interest to you.

Comment

Hello am
              PM sent
              Nick

Comment

Working...
              X