New member and bike 1963 Greeves Essex 32DD with Questions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member and bike 1963 Greeves Essex 32DD with Questions please

Hello there I'm Arthur. You may have seen me on You Tube as Arthus Collection. Ex Motocrosser that lived 20 miles away from Greeves factory but never rode them. Now bought the bike featured on page 6 of October leading link and working my way through a few issues. I wonder if anybody can throw light on following:-
    • The fibreglass tank held stale fuel and was clearly lined may years ago so must be suspect. Any suggestions? Some years ago I had a GF tank cut open and an alloy one made to go inside.
    • Believe its + Earth but on a continuity test both - and + seems to run to frame. Assume a short or is this normal with the system ?? . Battery buggered new one on order
    • Horn was buggered got a new Miller from Bob Wright M/c . Happy Days
    • I may be looking for another RH head as plug thread stripped and insert made. Its numbered D11336 (3T engine of course)
    • I run a vintage Scott very happily (and its guts always oily) on 40-1 Comp2 oil from Silkolene. I'm tempted to do the same , but I know some will say stick to original spec and smoke em out. Any thoughts ????
    Many thanks

Ahh the bike in the Tony East sale at Bonhams https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/281...e-no-222d1441/ As you will know the bike has the wrong engine number plate the correct engine number for lit is 222D1441 new engine serial plates are available from Villiers Services who will stamp them of with the correct font. Re your questions; Positive earth is normal on a Greeves. Regarding oil use 25 : 1 mineral or semi synthetic. The Silkolene Comp 2 should be OK but it does not really need a comp oil I use Comma 2 stroke SAE 30. Dont run it on 50:1 plus being an older engine with plain bush little ends it will not like it. Regarding stripped thread you could possibly have a helicoil fitted but if insert is holding then I would be inclined to leave it. Sad to learn that the bike is not as good as it looked, I think many of Tony's bikes were really just cosmetic restorations for the museum.​
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/10/2023, 02:26 PM.

Comment

The original Buff log book states 1441 and that IS the number on the engine (its the other bike that is wrong!) so no problem there and the frame number matches OK not that really I'm that twitchy with this auctioneer created "matching numbers" obsession

The RH plug came out with the insert attached.....its not a Helicoil and looks quite professional and so far cannot get off the plug. Double nuts would work but the thread size is the problem

New battery arrived and electrics seem to work incl sparks BUT there must be a minor leak to earth somewhere (does not blow fuses) . Wonder if it is the dish regulator???

No bike at auction is ever as it looks and Tonys bikes were predominately static ...certainly this one had been run but not for ages. It is one of the better bikes I have bought at auction though most were total crap and I will NEVER buy this way again.....unless I get tempted like the Essex that is ! Honestly one day somebody will say it as it is with auctioneers (and the rogue sellers)

Comment

The old selenium rectifier (not a regulator) will be well passed its 'sell by date' best to replace it with a modern diode rectifier like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266330612002?
        It would be well worth buying a copy of the 25/32DD Service notes (part No 9A) and Parts lists (50D & 52D) from the club, only ?6 each paper or ?3.50 digital from John Henry email editor.leadinglink@btinternet.com AND a copy of the 2T/3T Service Manual available from Villiers Services or you can download it free at
        ​​​​​​https://www.james-motorcycles.com/wp...hop-manual.pdf
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/10/2023, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X