My Name Is Steve And I Like To Party!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Name Is Steve And I Like To Party!

I have 380 Griffon that was previously owned by my uncle for about 50 years. It hasn't seen much, if any use in the last 10 or 20 years, but in that time it was stored away in a heated garage. It appears to be complete and original right down to the Dunlop tires. I am going to clean it up and ride it again. That is why I have turned up here. Although I am no stranger to bikes, I have a lot of questions about this one. For instance, why is there no kill switch? What information can be had from the frame numbers? Engine numbers? Gearbox numbers? How much of a resto should be done? A full nut and bolt job? Or a quick wash and throw some grease at the bearings?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

To start with what are the frame & engine number so that it can be formally identified. Frame number should be on a riveted on plate on the steering head. Bikes of this age did not have kill switches, it was not a requirement, you just closed the throttle to stop engine. As for resto its your choice, some owners want to restore to as new, others prefer to just do necessary work to get it running and leave the patina. This is probably best option if you want to ride it in classic scrambles/motocross. Where are you situated UK or abroad?
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 07/07/2023, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Hi John, I am abroad, in Alberta Canada. Frame number is xxxxxxx. Engine number is xxxxxxx, and gearbox number is xxxxxxx. Yes, a tough choice as it would all polish up very easily, but on the other hand, the patina is very nice. The frame is virtually spotless. I do intend to use it though.
      Last edited by one bad wheel; 10/11/2023, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Your bike is a 1969 380 Griffon the engine number looks to be the original although I think it may be GPE1/ but I cant confirm that as GRA have no records of exported bikes, but others in UK have the GPE1/ engine niumbers, could have initially been supplied to Nicholson Motors in California USA as many US bikes 'migrated' across the border to Canada. If you need engine/gearbox parts your best bet would be Kenny Sykes, California email is ksykes@sbcglobal.net
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 07/07/2023, 11:06 PM.

Comment

I think you are correct about the engine number. I had another look and on one side the "p" is not very clear, but on the other side it is more so. I figured it was a "B" since that's what is on the gearbox number. From what I have read on this site as well as others, I thought it was a '69 so thanks for confirming that. Does the "E" on the frame number mean it was an export? Or is that a date code? Like what month it was built? I have seen various numbers with different letters following the 58 so it must mean something. From what I have read so far, there were 3 different gear ratio's available. Can you tell what it is by the gearbox number?

Comment

The E code relates to the spec, I think E means it was USA spec supplied via Nicholson, this was the case with the earlier MX4, the frame number plate normally has the date of manufacture stamped on it. As for gear ratios I dont know, but I am sure someone on here more into Griffons can tell you. If not Kenny Sykes will know.

Comment

Just found this from Kenny Sykes posted by 'Tony' explaining the suffix letters from another thread https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...06-desert-bike
              "D is for Ceriani. Models that came to Nicholson in late 69 thru 71 were B,C,E and D in the 56 and 58 series Griffons. C and E were close ratio MX. Griffon Enduros with lights were model 60 and 61N which were late 1971 to year 1972. It can get confusing.".​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks for the info John. Very interesting. Actually makes sense though. I think?

Comment

Working...
                X