New Boy (haha) Motorcyclist Colin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Boy (haha) Motorcyclist Colin

Hi Everyone. May I introduce myself. I've been riding motorbikes for the last 69 years (not continuously you understand, I have stopped from time to time!) . I'm happy to have joined the GRA.My 4th Motorbike Club alongside the VOC, the VMCC, and The Airhead Fellowship .Just bought my second only Greeves. (first one was a 197 Scottish about 40 odd years ago) a superbly restored East Coaster. Now sharing my workshop with 4 Vincents, 2 Airhead BMWs, an Ambassador Popular( exactly the same model as my first bike in 1952), and a Cyclemaster (32ccs of roaring power). I'd wanted a Villiers 250 two stroke twin for some time, either a Norman Sports Twin (I am a Man of Kent) or a Greeves, and the East Coaster came along first, and an excellent bike it is. I'd just sold my Yamaha DT250 Enduro for a good price so the East Coaster appeared at the right time. All my bikes sharing the space with my wife's Peugeot Tweet Scooter and her Triumph T10 twist-and-go..You probably won't be surprised to hear that our Camper was modified to carry a bike in the back, as at 85 I much prefer the comfort of our second home (camper) to a tent, when going to rallies. Sorry, yes I know we're getting soft, but there is still plenty of riding when we are at a rally etc, especially as we belong to the French Section of the Vincent Owners Club. Living in East Kent, it's our nearest Sect.. Only yesterday we had our first ride on the new East Coaster, and it is very noticeable how much lighter and lower it is than the Vins and BMs. Chances are it will get used quite a bit. .I love the big 1000s but they do get heavier every time I need to move them around.. We very much look forward to getting involved with the GRA. and I have a feeling I shall be asking a lot of questions about my new bike and Greeves in general. Thanks for reading these ramblings!

Hi Colin and welcome to the GRA, I ride a Greeves single in VMCC events in and around Kent, our paths may cross one day ,my Greeves is a Police Model 24DF coloured black...John.
    Attached Files

Comment

Well done for still riding at your age. You have 10+ years on me and I started finding bigger bikes a challenge to manhandle a couple of years ago. Probably down to a mis-spent youth!

Comment

Thanks John and Ian for your comments. John do you get to the Aylesford Priory meet,? I am usually there at least one day on the Vincent Owners Club Stand.
        Ian. I'm sure my youth was equally mis spent, but my wife's mantra is "use it or lose it". so she keeps me moving

Comment

Yes Colin, I am entered on Saturday and will be there on the Sunday, I will pop along to Vincent stand on Sunday to see you.

Comment

Hi John
            Good to meet you and your wife atAylesford today. I learned a bit more about Greeves as well. I'll try to get to a VMCC meeting/run or two if I can
            Regards Colin

Comment

Working...
            X