Hey from Northern California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey from Northern California

I skipped the introduction post - jumping right into asking a couple of questions about my current project, and thought I should back up and introduce myself.

I'm currently working on a '69 MX6 that my father purchased from Frank Conley - our local Greeves guru here in California probably about 25 years ago.

I've been a little tight lipped about the work I'm doing, as I'm planning on making some significant modifications to the bike, not just performing a strict restoration, and I know that a number of Greeves enthusiasts I've run into are pretty protective about the bikes. In fact, another mechanic I know who's building up a Grumph for a client has run into some resistance himself from some enthusiasts that think even that level of modification is a shame.

Regardless, I personally love the Greeves bikes and am lucky enough that my father (who unfortunately passed away 2 years ago) picked up several books on the topic; including the Greeves history by Carrick and Walker which I've been pouring through.

The decision to modify the bike is not only just to start up a new project, but to get the bike running in a form that I can use on a more regular basis, and keep a great bike out there. My intention is to make is as much of a "daily driver" as you can with a 40+ year old bike.

So that's it. I've already gotten some great advice here and looking forward to more!

Connal

Or to put it another way, it's your bike, do what you like with it. There's room enough for both approaches.

Thanks for getting in touch, Connal, keep us posted on your progress - plenty of help and advice on here.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Marcelle + Colin,

Thanks for the great responses. The way I usually look at it is that customization is a huge part of motorcycling. How many people ride a truly bone-stock anything?

For some a project may be chopping off part of a frame loop or spray painting a tank. Sometimes that's the extent of one's budget / ability and that's fine. The custom jobs I love the best is when someone seems have really understood the original bike; the lines, the function... and kept that in mind with their mods - whether to intentionally depart from them, or reference them in some way in the new design.

As for competition, in '09 my wife and I went to Bonneville for speedweek for the first time and are officially hooked. I don't know exactly what class the final bike will fit into, but there's a class for pretty much everything out there, and we fully intend to run it. Just for fun and to have done it.

Comment

Modifications

I've been a little tight lipped about the work I'm doing, as I'm planning on making some significant modifications to the bike, not just performing a strict restoration, and I know that a number of Greeves enthusiasts I've run into are pretty protective about the bikes. In fact, another mechanic I know who's building up a Grumph for a client has run into some resistance himself from some enthusiasts that think even that level of modification is a shame

Connal

Good for you. Significant modifications are good in my book. All modifications and alterations can be undone. After all it is only a Greeves.

Any chance of posting a photo of the MX and the Grumph when complete.

Phil

Comment

Oh, absolutely! The Grumph isn't my project, but I plan on documenting the Challenger project thoroughly; with pics here and most likely a more detailed write-up on my personal blog: www.moto.explanatorium.info

I also plan on attending Greeves Days here in California next month. I'm not sure how many US members are here, but it will be great to meet up with people.

Comment

Hi all!

Cheers all around, I love all these posts and agree!

Dave and I were at the same point with the MCS, Ms Eleanor, that I ramble about all over the place.

We feel it is key to be able to ride a classic as much as possible...just our opinions. The concourse bike is a great thing to behold...but, now do really want to ride it often? Also...yikes...I feel, you have undone her history,

That was a time when folks got a bike...took it out and raced it...and what didn't work...they modified...cropped fenders etc, etc

For me it's about the bikes, the riders, and what they did as a team...an erra lost, sadly.

I love to bring em back and leave them where they were at the time...it was a different world back then and both bikes and riders had incredible journeys and staminas...IMO...that's what is key in the strive to "preserve" and "restore" that lost time in history.

I support anyones attempt to resurect a good thing...I think saving in part of a Greeves is the key...Grump, Gronda...they have some Greeves in them. It's about keeping the Greeves history alive....even if in sniglets. Again just MO folks, and I know what opinions can be like

Our phrase for Eleanor is..."She is what She is!"

We really thought folks would protest to her...left the West Coast dessert racing look...kept cropped fenders, AMA 1970 front racing plate...added ovals to her back...kept the Mikuni...redid seat, paint etc....but she looks like she would have when she was last raced in 1970..just fresher. BUT they love it and have the same feelings.

No way is right or wrong...just different, and difference is what makes the world go round!

Ok...I enjoyed the posts and can't wait to see the finished Challenger...you will blow us away I just know it.

Never hurts to have a mixed up technically challenged girls opinion right??

Tammy

Comment

Working...
            X