• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member with a new….old Greeves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FF455CC0-ED2A-4AC3-A40E-2C682289D060.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	743.8 KB
ID:	91768 Hey all. My grandpa raced Greeves back in the 60s here in the states on the west coast. I’ll dig up some awesome old pictures for you all if you would like. Just was given this bike and was hoping you could all fill me in on it before I bring it back to life. Click image for larger version

Name:	0BA1DCFD-52DA-467A-B93C-3381F5D032D9.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	872.5 KB
ID:	91766Click image for larger version

Name:	AB17C9F8-0B01-45FF-B364-A29FA76D2CD6.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	880.5 KB
ID:	91767
    Attached Files

Its a 1962 24MCS Mk2

Comment

Not a Mark 2, which was based on the UK 24MDS, but a very original 1961/62 24MCS Moto Cross Special (Dave Bickers replica), Only departure from the UK-production bikes looks to be a 19" front wheel, which was a usual mod for the US market, and "repaired" front mudguard. Lovely bike in original condition. Congratulations!
      Last edited by johnrunnacles; 18/07/2022, 09:32 AM.

Comment

That really is a lovely 24 Moto Cross Special. It oozes originality, and would be great to just clean it up, re-commission it mechanically and use it. It would be such a shame to strip it, new paint etc, when the originality would be gone.

Great machine!

Comment

Agree totally, Ian. My favourite, and Dave once told me it was his favourite too of all the Greeves models. Very lucky owner!

Comment

There is a faded Greeves motor-cross sticker across the top of the tank. Just below the gas cap. Was that something someone added or did they come with it. I haven’t been able to find another example of the decal.

ya plan is to just bring it back mechanically sound and enjoy the noise and the ride.

Comment

You'll certainly get some noise to enjoy with that exhaust!

Comment

Originally posted by Lightningbohn View Post
                There is a faded Greeves motor-cross sticker across the top of the tank. Just below the gas cap. Was that something someone added or did they come with it. I haven't been able to find another example of the decal.
                The decal, a waterslide transfer, was unique to the 1961/62 24MCS Moto Cross Special model. I've attached a pic of one and they can be obtained in the UK from this supplier; Classic Transfers You searched for greeves - Classic Transfers

Hope this helps,

Brian.

PS This one's for you JR....keep up the good work old friend.

Attached Files

Comment

That’s amazing. Thanks for the link!

Comment

My pleasure, and good luck with your Greeves Lightningbohn.

Brian.

Comment

Working...
                    X