No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,
    just joined, acquiring a 1958 Scottish and looking forwards to resurrecting it
    cheers for now

Welcome, Richard. If we can help, just shout!

Take care.

John R

Comment

Thank you ,
      Dorset based

Comment

What model Scottish have got Richard?. If you have joined the GRA (as opposed to just this forum) you can get upgraded on here to a full member from a basic. Hopefully Ian Thornton the admin will read this and upgrade you.

Comment

I believe it is a 20 TA model with an 8E engine. Still understanding models of villiers currently.
          as I get into it more , I'll be more able to identify things.
          I know it is not registered with the dvla , so I'll be writing to someone soon to assist with the authentication process.

Comment

Unusual for a 1958 20TA to have an 8E engine, Richard. If you send a photo by private message (you won't be able to post one on this Forum until you're upgraded) I will help with further identification.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Hyatt View Post
              I believe it is a 20 TA model with an 8E engine. Still understanding models of villiers currently.
              as I get into it more , I'll be more able to identify things.
              I know it is not registered with the dvla , so I'll be writing to someone soon to assist with the authentication process.
              If you give the frame number which is stamped on the alloy beam on top LH side near steering head I can tell you what model the bike is, and maybe more past history if its on the Survivors Register. Would it be this one recently for sale on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313938895...MAAOSwCbNiRvFh with LMT Motorcycles, Addington frame No 9027/TA which should have a 9E engine.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/07/2022, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Yes indeed, this is the one..
                probably/undoubtedly a chequered history during its 60 odd year life

Comment

Unfortunatly the 8E engine fitted only has the 3 speed gear box, trials versions which were actually fitted to the very early 1954/5 Greeves had the 4 speed Albion box. Best bet is to find a 9E or 32A engine and swop them over. The 8E will have some value if you decide to sell it as it was fitted to Francis Barnet, James and lots of other makes. You will though need to obtain another set of engine plates as the fitting for 9E is different to 8E.

This is past history I have on the bike:
                  ​​​​​​Bonhams auction Stafford 2/7/21 8E engine fitted, VE60 logbook no V5c, sold for 1380 pounds. Spicers auction Old Goole 26/3/22. Sold 1100 hammer, former owners Brett Shiers, Pulborough 10/70;Michael Tidy, Cranleigh ?/??; Brian Morris, Guildford -/77 (no other owners known). eBay LMT M/Cs Lt. Addington 4/22 ?2495
                  Last edited by John Wakefield; 10/06/2022, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Thank you for exploring.
                    I currently run 3 speed bantams so my right foot is used to 3 gears.
                    Yes maybe look out for the 9e on my jumble visits to return to original status.
                    Not much known after the early and late 70s , I'll communicate with the club dating people with all the dvla forms aand get it legal.
                    plenty to do.
                    Thank you

Comment

welcome along

Comment

Cheers all

Comment

Just taken delivery , will try to post picture. In the process of collating docs to retrieve the original number with Ian Sparrow and a parts needed list.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I know I need a speedo cable and the speedo itself and a propstand , .currently no spark so will have to buy the hammertight spanner to get the flywheel off.
                            on the 8E gearbox, does the dipstick just pull up or unscrew please? It rotates but won't come up and out!!
                            Thank you

Comment

THe dipstick is the one with a small knurled knob to tight of filler cap. It just unscrews. The ignition on an 8E is very simple, same as a lot of Villiers industrial engines. Probably just needs points cleaning and adjusting. Note there is no flywheel key on the 8E you have to align the timing mark up with the one on casing. You may find this servicing sheet helpful https://www.james-motorcycles.com/wp...-July-1955.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X