Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New forum member - Queensland Australia - QUB 380 Griffon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New forum member - Queensland Australia - QUB 380 Griffon.

Hi there,
    I recently bought a 1973 QUB 380 Griffon Moto-Cross version here in Australia. It's vitals are frame# 63A156, engine # GPE 1/164 & there is no number on the gearbox. There may be some info in your records as I believe the previous owner was a GRA member in the late 1990's.
    The bike was imported into Australia back in the early to mid 2000's. The engine was rebuilt in mid 2000 by Greeves Motorcycles Limited Chelmsford Essex.
    I currently have it going & club registered here & plan to use it on fire trails in the local state forests & on the odd club dirt ride.
    • I am interested in researching the possibility of changing the gearbox ratios to cover a wider speed range. Currently 1st gear is too high for my use & 4th gear is a little too low. I think I would prefer changing the whole gearbox to the desert or enduro box if one could be found, but I suspect I may be forced to change out the necessary gears (if findable) to make the ratios wider & more user friendly. I believe there were several different ratio gearboxes used back in the day on these machines so any information on them will be greatly appreciated.
    • Also the seal from the primary drive case to the gearbox has a persistent leak even after renewing the seal. I was wondering if the seal mounting plate has to be specifically set up when the gearbox is reunited with the engine during the overhaul? The engine overhaul documents I have suggest that a replacement primary cover was included as part of the rebuild & may be the primary backing plate was also replaced & the seal plate not adjusted to suit the gearbox shimming or have I got the process wrong??
    Many thanks,
    Murray

Murray,
    I can help with your frame and engine numbers.
    Please post your email address so that I can send you a PM.

Peter. GRA Frame Dating Service

Comment

Ask Steve at Villiers Services he has quite a few different wide ratio gears for the GBA box and Intermediate for the GBB box. Not all the gears need to be changed from a close ratio box. The wide ratio in the GBA box is really good for trails etc.

Comment

Hi Peter,
        My email address is mbuhse@live.com. Thanks for the info offer.

Hi Tony.
        Thanks for the lead for wide ratio gearbox parts. My trawling through a couple of QUB parts books that came with the bike & some info from an old GRB post seems to indicate that items 41 & 55 (3rd gear set) & items 40 & 54 (common gears) should do the trick.

Thanks Murray

Comment

Hi Tony,
          I believe you may be able to provide some info to me on the 380 QUB Griffon model letter designations? Can you tell me what the "A" designation in the frame # means? From a parts book I have, I believe a "G" is for the desert model, a "C" is for Ceriani forks & fibreglass tank, an "E" is the same but with an alloy tank & an "F" is for a machine with new pattern gears. I suppose that is the coarser gear sets? Also I wonder what a "B" would be?
          My machine is a 63A.

Also do you know if anyone has access to the Greeves Info Sheet 79 for gear box assembly that is called up on the Greeves Griffon Scramblers Service Sheet No 19-3?

many thanks
          Murray

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Greeves codes.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	84133

Not sure about the Info sheet - Tony

Comment

Many thanks Tony, that clears the numbering things up quite a bit.

Murray

Comment

Murray, all Model 63 bikes had GPG engines. Engine no GPE 1/ 164 was fitted to a Model 58 bike, hope this helps, David.

Comment

Originally posted by mgb View Post
                  Also do you know if anyone has access to the Greeves Info Sheet 79 for gear box assembly that is called up on the Greeves Griffon Scramblers Service Sheet No 19-3?

many thanks

Murray
                  Hi Murray,

Here you go, see post 17 on this thread for Information Sheet 79; https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...n-sheets/page2

You may find the previous post (16) useful too as it includes a copy of the Griffon gearbox drawing that I spent an age cleaning up digitally.

Finally, here's another thread with additional Griffon info (and some messing about...!) that may also be of interest; https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...30-post-1-of-3

Hope this helps,

Brian.

Comment

Thanks for the information links Brian. Most helpful indeed.
                    Regards,
                    Murray

Comment

My pleasure Murray, and good to see you've got full access to the forum now. I'd have posted my reply earlier but you wouldn't have been able to see the link(s)/threads as I posted them in the 'members only' area, for obvious reasons.

Give us a shout if you're looking for any other stuff that may be posted on here and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction, as long as I can remember where it is!

Good luck with your Greeves Murray and let us know how you get on.

Brian.

Comment

Nice to hear from you, Murray on behalf of the GRA committee, i welcome you and all the info you have posed cheers Dicky F

Comment

Hiya Murray, john here (24MX4) a good Greeves guy on Griffons/ QUB in Aus in Barry Patterson -great engineer who raced them in the 70s - find him on the Greeves restoration facebook page, lives 200miles NW of Sydney I think, If you get stuck on your GBox the guru is Geoff Nunn over here, nearly all the racers here use him. He's a lovely guy, so helfupul and very typical of the Greeves community. If you need his number PM me and I'll check with him before releasing it.

Comment

Hi John, Thanks for the local Aus. contact, I will check out the Greeves Restoration Facebook page in due course. It looks like Kenny Sykes has located all the gears I need to convert to the A ratio box, so when I get them it would probably be a good idea for me to contact Geoff Nunn to understand any tricks for putting the box back together with the 1/2 new & 1/2 not so new gears etc.
                            Regards,
                            Murray

Comment

Working...
                            X