Hi there from Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there from Australia

Hi all, just a few notes to introduce myself. I live in Brisbane, Australia. More years ago than I care to remember, I took up scrambling, first with an Ariel 500 twin(!!). I finally saw the light, moving on to a 197 James, then a Dot Demon & a 1964 Greeves challenger. I then went over to the dark side - Spanish bikes, until I retired.
    I attended a vintage motocross meeting about 4 years ago, became hooked, and have been racing since.
    I own a 1973 250 Maico, and am currently restoring a 197 7E Villiers powered HJH scrambler - from Wales, I understand. The Maico was becoming boring - stone reliable so didn't need much tinkering, which I enjoy.

I will be visiting the UK next year in April, and hope to attend some classic events while there, as well as pick up a few go-fast parts to take home.
    Can anyone give me some information as to what's on in that month, and also some firms which do good Villiers work?

Thanks, Mike

G'day mate! Welcome aboard.

April? Probably the best show of the lot, the International Classic Bike Show at Stafford. Not certain of the dates yet, probably 23/24 April.

Villiers? Villiers Services: 01384 265797 or Nametab Engineering: 01527 5222666.

Lots more help available if you join the GRA and upgrade to full member. Details on the website www.greeves-riders.org.uk
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks, Colin, I'll do that. Any competition going on in April as well, or is it too early to know yet?
      I will have to book flights by mid November to get the best prices, so I'll just have to take a punt on dates. My daughter is a teacher in London, so the school holidays have to be included, plus a week either before or after.

I wonder what a good 7E/9E motor weighs? I'll have 30kg of checked luggage allowance to bring home!
      Cheers,
      Mike

Comment

The Pre 65 Moto-Cross Club haven't finalised their programme yet, but there's a fair chance they'll have a meeting around that time. Their meetings are usually in Essex. Probably be plenty of other motorcycle sport around if you don't mind what kind.

Don't know the weight of a 9E, but I can carry one - probably is about 30kg. You'll have to leave all your clothes behind...
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

"Another one downunder"

Hi Mike,
          I'm just up the road in Adelaide, good to see more members down here, I'm just upgrading my membership now, its worth it, the guys in GRA has a vast amount of knowledge, from Bearingman (US) to Rarpos7 in Melbourne (who seems to own 95% of the Greeves in the southern hemisphere) I'm in the UK next year in April as well, may bump into you at a meeting.

Stuart.

Comment

Mike & Co.

Don't forget the GRA AGM on 3rd April near Oxford. This is NOT a typical boring old AGM but a whole day out with autojumble, guest speaker, etc.

Also, I think Stafford is 30th April / 1st May next year because Easter is late.

I am in the south, about 30 miles south of London should you be down this way.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Comment

UK

Hi Rob,
              As I don't fly in to the UK till 22nd April I will miss the AGM, but I will try and get to Stafford on the 30th April, will be driving around south (between Southend, Bishop Stortford & Reading) as I still have 2 of my bikes in the UK and I may wait until I get there next year before I arrange shipping to OZ, (cheaper to pack & crate myself) so it would be good to catch up with some of you guys.

Stuart.

Comment

Thanks, Rob, I'm pretty sure at this stage I'll still be there over the Easter weekend, so Stafford is a possibility. Just need to check - we are talking of Stafford - Staffordshire, north of Birmingham? Don't want to go the wrong way.

Cheers, Mike

Comment

Mike - I got the date of Stafford wrong! It is over the Easter weekend this year. It is the Stafford north of Birmingham. All being well, we will have our GRA stand there.

Comment

31st Carole Nash International Classic M/C Show - Stafford.

Just to confirm....this will take place on the 23rd and 24th of April. As usual at BINGLEY HALL, (the Staffordshire County Showground), opening at 10am each day. Tickets are available in advance or at the Car Park/Show ground entrance.
                    Given the size of the Event, and the numbers attending, an early arrival is desirable. There are a number of GRA Members fairly local who may be able to advise closer to the day.

Comment

Mike, the Pre-65 Club has one meeting provisionally scheduled for 3 April at Marks Tey, near Colchester and another for 1 May at Maylandsea, near Southend.

There will probably be Greeves Championship rounds at both but I have not yet seen Dave Harper's programme for 2011.

The AMCA publishes a complete schedule of all Classic Scrambles (as well as modern motocross meetings).

John A - 268

Comment

Great minds etc!

Thanks for that John, nice one. Colin and I had the same thought and I think we both sent him the same info via PM's a couple of weeks back!

Still, any excuse to publicise Dave Harper's excellent Greeves series can only be a good thing in my eyes.

Brian.

Comment

Working...
                        X