Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves air filter

Hello all
    Would anyone on here know what the air filter on this don smith bike is as it doesn't look to be a standard item. Also would anyone know were i mite be able to get one?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

The inner part is a garda with a outer cover I will add photos Monday off one or before if I go to workshop

Comment

Interesting that in 1962 he was still using a Monobloc

Comment

Monobloc carbs was used much later tgs Anglian had them
        Last edited by garybam4711; 16/12/2018, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks Gary. That fact had escaped me. Given the Monobloc was quickly dropped in favour of the Villiers 25/6 on the TE/TES models, having the benefit of the central float chamber, and it's continued use on the TFS, I assumed it continued onto the Anglians. Maybe there was a supply issue from Villiers by then? It quickly resolved with the introduction of the Amal Concentric for the 1967 model year.

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Great photos looks a simple idea but better that the standard pancake amal filter i don't suppose you can tempted to part with it as it would look great on my new trials greeves project?

Comment

Sorry Liam it's for my almost complete/finished tgs anglian
                  at one time hobbit motorcycles had a Garda air filter if they still had that would be a start I can always email better photos with sizes if you get a filter
                  gary

Comment

Hi garry
                    I thought that would be the case they seem hard to find. I have seen that hobbit mx have the end plate for sale on the site so I will give them a ring you never know they mite have one. I may have to bother you for some dimensions if not if thats ok

Comment

Hope you get sorted Liam. Sorry about me waffling on about the carbs; although it is sort of connected, but I couldn't help with the filter.

Ian

Comment

Not a problem all information is welcome. So when did they switch to using mk1 concentric then?
                        ​​

Comment

1967 model year with the THS. That is when Amal dropped the Monobloc, replacing it with the Concentric. Greeves did still use the Villiers carb on some models for another year or so, the iron-barreled TJ, Ranger etc, so supplies were still filtering through from Villiers; but not for long.

Ian

Comment

Spot on Ian! Greeves dropped the Monobloc from the Anglian at frame number 24 THS 213. According to the records, this would have left the factory in December 1966 and was therefore a 1967 model.. All previous trials bikes had the Villiers carb. Interestingly, the Don Smith conversion kits featured a bigger Monobloc carb.

From a performance point of view today, some Villiers carb'd bikes really work well as do the Concentrics. It is all down to how well they are set up I would think but don't ask me as my Anglian needs a good set up by an expert! I don't think one is really any better than the other judging by bikes I have riddden but the experts may have opinions on that!

This info is from the GRA archive, normally only available to members but as it's Christmas .................................!!

Comment

Hi
                              Re- The question 'Why the Monobloc carburettor on the DS TFS (1964)'

Don used to sell the Amal Monobloc as a 'performance enhancement' for the Villiers carbed bikes through his North London shop.
                              The reality was probably the opposite, but why spoil an opportunity to sell when DS was a salesman.
                              The answer probably lies there.

I've always found the Villiers Carb to work well for trials, easy to set, wears well, can be fitted with a throttle stop if required
                              so would be my first choice for trials. But like so many things may be perceived as 'old fashioned' and shunned for the newer.

I've always found the Concentric more critical to set, wears faster but is probably still a better bet than a Monobloc.

Regards
                              The lad

Comment

Working...
                              X