From the Left Coast and Across the Pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Left Coast and Across the Pond

I've been lurking for a while but I've decided to register and speak up. Over here I usually get funny looks when I say the name, "Greeves". It is a nice change to have a place like this forum with so many knowledgeable people.
    I restored 24SC105 a year or so ago and I've been on the look-out for a new project.

Sad but true!! Hope is there though!

Originally posted by Tracker View Post
    I've been lurking for a while but I've decided to register and speak up. Over here I usually get funny looks when I say the name, "Greeves". It is a nice change to have a place like this forum with so many knowledgeable people.
    I restored 24SC105 a year or so ago and I've been on the look-out for a new project.
    Welcome Tracker....I hear ya! We have drug Eleanor, the 24MCS/2/808 around from Phoenix, AZ to the Commonwealth of KY. AZ wasn't too bad, but everyone still gave us that wierdo (like you have a 3rd eye in the middle of your forehead) look, and then pondered aloud "What in the heck for???"

Now, in AZ we couldn't ride her because of the strict regulations! BUT IN KY...no rules, noise or any of that...ride it like it is, just stay off county maintained roads. SO RESTORE DONE!

BUT...even more crazy looks, and going into local shops for say, plugs...the old, well what part # or year etc....YEAH...most folks can't even pronounce "Greeves" here, let alone know what the heck it is!! But once we took her up to show them, they changed their tunes.

IT IS SAD!! But, we recently did a show in Cincinnati, OH, a classic british show....the highlight (besides bringing home a trophy)....tons of little kids loved the Greeves, both ours and the Anglian...they flocked to them, and pronounced that these bikes were there absolute favorites out of all of them (about 65 nicely restored bikes!!)...IT GIVES ME HOPE FOR THESE OLE GALS future....especially the competetion machines...they are out there, but it seems the street bikes have the majority of folks hooked.

Sorry, I do tend to ramble! JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW SOMEONE ELSE UNDERSTANDS JUST WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM!

Take care and have a good one!
    Tammy in KY

Comment

Originally posted by tammyanddaveky View Post
      tons of little kids loved the Greeves, both ours and the Anglian...they flocked to them, and pronounced that these bikes were there absolute favorites out of all of them
      Nothing like the old open Megga to bring out the kid in all of us!
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Welcome!

Originally posted by Tracker View Post
        Hi Tracker, and welcome aboard the forum-hope you enjoy it!

It's always nice to here from our many friends in the USA!

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
          Nothing like the old open Megga to bring out the kid in all of us!
          Oh how right you are Collin, that eardrum rattling gets'em all...they just can't fathom such a "little bike" with such a loud bark...LOL. Theres nothing like it, whats funny is you get so used to it, you forget how LOUD it really is...it's a very fun tool too, no one in the area wants on our bad side, thats for sure.... Actually, we, well ok, Dave, hubby very (almost too) respectfull...wont fire her up until after noon or before 7pm. Me...thats why I live in the country darn it, to be NOISY! Okay...rambles.
          Have a good day!
          Tammy

Comment

Nothing like that under-square (long stroke) configuration, together with a heavy flywheel, for that old school two stroke sound.
            I have a large finned aftermarket barrel and head that really adds to the audio commotion.

Comment

Working...
            X