Greetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings

Good Morning, new member alert.....I've just become the owner of a Reeves RBS Silverstone and I'm keen to learn the history of the machine whilst also calling on the knowledge and experience of forum members for a bit of advice. The bike is currently in display form and hasn't run for a good few years, my intentions are to re-commission the bike during the winter to parade/race/show in 2019.
    I look forward to forum participation and will hopefully meet and speak with a few other Greeves owners along the way.

Welcome aboard! Firstly, please check to see if your bike is listed in the website listings. If not, let Rob Thornton know the frame number so that it can be added. I see you are ;isted as a Basic User, so you need to be upgraded to the full member status on the Forum, by asking the same gent, Rob Thornton! The Forum will be useful to you, as will Leading Link, for all sorts of information that you may need.
    Last edited by Brian Catt; 13/09/2018, 06:54 PM.

Comment

I am guessing you are not Ryuichi Kiyonari? Or maybe another Keo.....

Anyway, whichever Keo you may be, welcome to Greeves ownership. A fine machine to start off with.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Keo View Post
        Good Morning, new member alert.....I've just become the owner of a Greeves RBS Silverstone and I'm keen to learn the history of the machine whilst also calling on the knowledge and experience of forum members for a bit of advice. The bike is currently in display form and hasn't run for a good few years, my intentions are to re-commission the bike during the winter to parade/race/show in 2019.
        I look forward to forum participation and will hopefully meet and speak with a few other Greeves owners along the way.
        Welcome to the forum, Keo,

Tracing the history of a competition machine is always tricky because they're never usually road registered, so if you didn't receive any provenance paperwork it will be difficult to trace it back unless it was known to have started life with a well-known rider.

Once you've been upgraded you'll be able to post photos on the forum, or to start the ball rolling you could email me photos of the bike from both sides (without the fairing in place) and a shot of the frame number, and I'll tell you if it's reasonably authentic and what the club knows about it. colinsparrow@btinternet.com

I suggest you copy your email to Rob on rob.thornton@btinternet.com. He knows his way round a Silverstone
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of Greeves. Where are you based? Plenty of Silverstone owners dotted around the country, so you will soon find another nutter, sorry I mean aficionado. The RBS is the only one I don't have, even though that was the one I raced in the 60s. Dogsbody

Comment

Hi Keo, good to here another Silverstone is being readied for its real purpose rather than left to languish in a display. I'm currently doing the same with a couple of basket case RCS Silverstones.

My guess is that the most difficult part of your task maybe getting a decent working gearbox. Is it the 5 speed kidney shaped box?

If you run into any problems let us know, there are always a few Silverstone owners here who like to help.

Comment

Greeves RBS Silverstone

Hi Kev, it is the 5 speed kidney shaped gearbox and currently I'm unable to select any gears.

Comment

I've always had the Albion 5 speed boxes on my bikes, so I've never had to deal with the kidney shaped type and so can't really give you any advice. They had a pretty bad reputation and it may be difficult for you to get it working well enough to race, there may be other people in the club who can help you out.

If you have deep pockets and can find an Albion case you can get a Nova gearset, but they are understandably quite expensive. It's what I plan to do with one of the RCSs I'm rebuilding.

Comment

The RDS/RES/RFS cambarrel five speeder (which is what Keo has) is usually a good reliable unit and the end cover is sort of egg-shaped.

Not to be confused with the MX2/MX3 "kidney" four speeder - which by the way is also a perfectly good box.

The dodgy one is the round-ended four-speeder fitted to the MX1 scrambler and (in a five-speed version) to the RBS and RCS Silverstones.

They're all Albion 'boxes.
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

OK Colin, my apologies.I'd jumped to the conclusion that he had the dodgy box on his RBS. Good news if he has the cam barrel type.

Comment

Welcome Keo,
                      Please post some pictures as it would be great to see a Greeves with without knobblies for a change. I cant help much as I am into Challengers and Griffons but you never know. I think I may have the where about of the odd ex road racing Greeves in these parts.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X