Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice

Hi, I have recently bought a challenger 24 mx5 frame no c196 engine no GPA 51602 which i intend to restore, but first i need to know if they are matching no’s and in what format this bike left the factory when new. I would also like detailed specification of the whole machine, i would very much like to hear from anybody who could guide me. I raced an mx3 in the late sixty’s and the mx5 is much the same, but i can’t remember some of the set up.

Thanks
    Mike Bartlett

Poole Dorset
    Last edited by maxibart; 05/06/2018, 07:13 AM.

According to the factory records, 24MX5G 196 had the engine number GPA5 1602.

If the "C" you quote is actually a G, then your bike has its original engine.

Obviously it was originally an MX5 Challenger scrambler.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Colin, the engine number ties up it could be a G if it was punched upside down do we know frame and tank colour, also I loved your book, thanks Mike

Comment

I'm very glad you like my book Mike, thanks. If you turn to page 153 you can see the correct colours for an MX5. Also there's a good deal on Challenger specifications on pages 124 and 125.

I've just double-checked in the dispatch record originals. There is no 24MX5C 196 dispatched to a UK dealer. The entry for 24MX5G 196 most definitely shows a "G" not a "C". As do many surrounding entries.
        Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 06/06/2018, 09:23 AM. Reason: more info added
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
        X