greeves help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by craig View Post
    brothers found a Villiers carb will see if its the right one (wish hed find the rest of the bike) I'm still waiting for some information , now on holiday till next year so will look at the bike , do I put back to standard which might be expensive my guess is about £600 but the bike was free , or use a 350 B40 engine (now placed in frame plenty of room) or a 350 triumph twin which I also have here , I am able to weld fabricate etc so I think could do the alteration myself , what is the standard machine like on the road ?
    Well depends upon what you want to use it for, if its for green laneing, or just bimbling around the lanes it will be fine, but for long distance work no. After all its a trials bike.
    Personally I would build it up as standard with the Villiers engine to get the feel of it, you can always fit a BSA or Triumph engine later.

Comment

on the standard gearing what might the bike do , max mph and still feel happy

Comment

on the standard gearing what might the bike do , max mph and still feel happy
        Depends upon what you mean by standard gearing. If its on the original trials gearing about 45 mph but if you gear it up to road gearing (as for a 24DB or DC) then about 65 mph

Comment

any idea what the standard gearing for road and trials might be thanks

Comment

any idea what the standard gearing for road and trials might be thanks
            I dont have actual ratios available but would think an overall top gear ratio of 6:1 for road & 7:1 for trials. No doubt someone will have the original works ratios.

Comment

will take a look at the ratio now , about 55mph I can live with , the last 250 Villiers I had was 45 tops (cruiser) to slow , I also have a water cooled 250 Villiers engine but that I'm sure would be as slow

Comment

All the later trials bikes ('62 to '65) were supplied with the following ratios: 7.75:1, 10.5:1, 18.6:1, 27.9:1.

Final drive sprocket 15T, rear wheel sprocket 54T

The TFS Trail had the same gearing.
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

thanks will look at that , ive now got your book and this bike looks to me like the one on page 134 , have you a pic of the other side of this machine ?

Comment

There you go!
                    Attached Files
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

• that looks very much like this one (I have a dif silencer and wrong motor) I can also see the gear change leaver , he has this but I left it there , slowly coming together , thanks

Comment

• your engine is correct, but sometime in the bike's life the original alloy top end has been changed for the iron barrel that is on your bike now. The exhaust was changed as the original would most likely not fit to the iron barrel. Back in the day, the maximum oversize piston avaiable was +.060. once that was worn you either had to replace the cylinder barrel or get it resleeved. Plenty of iron barrels kicking around back then, so that was a cheaper option. My TFS has a worn +.060 at present but not giving any appreciable loss in power. There are now +.080 and +.100 oversize available, and alloy top ends do occasionally crop up on fleabay. I believe there is someone making new replica top ends but at a price.. Dont know if anyone is doing a pattern exhaust like in the picture, mine is very similar.

Comment

• may account for why its still on standard boar , having said that there is a bracket on the frame which holds this system in place near the rear of the silencer which is not on the side pic shown here .picked up 3 Villiers carbs today , not one of them fit the bike so will stick with mono for now
                          Last edited by craig; 13/12/2016, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• Thanks again to all on the forum who may have saved a interesting machine . I have today received the search from Essex council which states registration and frame number are correct (no “S” ) and first owner as invacar Ltd . I would be very interested in any history or photos about this machine , there must be some out there , thanks

Comment

• Craig ,on the list I sent you it states the bike was on loan to M.C.I maybe someone out there knows who that is ? .Pleased that the frame is correct and good luck with the bike.
                              Simon

Comment

• i have emailed you a copy of what I have now , MCI motorcycle industries maybe , the bike was dispatched to them a few days after registration , I will apply for the reg and try and find more history , looks like it may need adding to any frame lists (Mr Sparrow) but I would really like to see a pic of what it looked like before dispatch . thanks again

Comment

Working...
                                X