No announcement yet.

greeves help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes thanks , I have sent you a note back (post) will let you know how I get on , this is the engine I have spare , I don't know what its from or year , but if anyone wants it I'm looking for spares for my 32A engine thanks

Comment

What parts are missing from your 32a engine? I'm guessing from your pics of the bike that the ignition side covers with the points etc are missing. I have an assortment of spare engine cases for that side of the engine, and I think there are some chaincases. Your spare engine looks like an 8e or 6e type engine, I think they were superseded by the 9e and 10e range in the mid to late 50s. I used to ride old James and Sun bikes with these engines fitted when field biking as a schoolboy. they were suprisingly good in the mud considering that some had 3 speed gearboxes.

Comment

all the ignition side is missing and covers (lost) kick start , gear change leaver , that's about it as far as getting it running goes I think , pity as this bike was complete some years ago . brother says it never had a side stand but looks to me like it should have one so I would like a side stand also . thanks
        Last edited by craig; 07/12/2016, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Its an 8E (507B) supplied to Vernon Industries (Gordon Cars), so looks like it was originally fitted to an invalid car http://www.3wheelers.com/vernon.html

Comment

strange a engine fitted to a invalid car should come with a greeves , thanks

Comment

how is this tank fixed to the frame at the rear as standard ?

Comment

You need an "M" shaped bracket which is bolted to the two flanges with holes in (visible in your photo) by one long bolt. It is fitted with the tank in place so that the "V" part of the bracket is in light contact with the underside of the frame tube. Its purpose is to prevent the tank from lifting - the tank is actually supported by the tube.

You can use (guess what) - a couple of turns of duct tape to protect the top tube.

The bracket was missing from my TFS and the fixing had me puzzled for a while until I found a restored TFS I could look at. The bracket is easy enough to fabricate in steel strip, even for a non-engineer like me.

I'll put a picture of it on here if it would help.
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

a pic would help but I think I can visualize it , thankyou

Comment

Craig, have you sold this on again as its appeared on Greeves facebook now owned by Paul Tuxworth https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Comment

no its still here , the face book was to shake off my EX who was giving me problems

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                        You need an "M" shaped bracket which is bolted to the two flanges with holes in (visible in your photo) by one long bolt. It is fitted with the tank in place so that the "V" part of the bracket is in light contact with the underside of the frame tube. Its purpose is to prevent the tank from lifting - the tank is actually supported by the tube.

You can use (guess what) - a couple of turns of duct tape to protect the top tube.

The bracket was missing from my TFS and the fixing had me puzzled for a while until I found a restored TFS I could look at. The bracket is easy enough to fabricate in steel strip, even for a non-engineer like me.

I'll put a picture of it on here if it would help.
                        I should have mentioned, I put a spacer between the two sides of the bracket to run the long bolt through, just to make sure the tank flanges didn't distort when I tightened up.
                        Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 11/12/2016, 07:48 AM.
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

thanks , is the amal concentric upgrade worth £100 or is the mono block ok , this one has come with a incomplete 375 (one inch)

Comment

Originally posted by craig View Post
                            thanks , is the amal concentric upgrade worth £100 or is the mono block ok , this one has come with a incomplete 375 (one inch)
                            Should be a Villiers S25 carb. which is best for trials/road on the 32A iron barrel. A simple carb with little to go wrong & designed for use with this type of engine.
                            Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/12/2016, 11:15 AM.

Comment

will ad it to the list

Comment

brothers found a Villiers carb will see if its the right one (wish hed find the rest of the bike) I'm still waiting for some information , now on holiday till next year so will look at the bike , do I put back to standard which might be expensive my guess is about £600 but the bike was free , or use a 350 B40 engine (now placed in frame plenty of room) or a 350 triumph twin which I also have here , I am able to weld fabricate etc so I think could do the alteration myself , what is the standard machine like on the road ?

Comment

Working...
                                X