Checking In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking In

Thought I would check in from the Great Pacific Northwest of the US of A. I’m a lifelong crazed Anglophile and have been a member of the GRA for several years and enjoy reading the forum. I started my Greeves experience in 1969 when I bought a new 250 Griffon, which I raced for about a year. I have been competing in vintage motocross/scrambles for the last 25 years, almost exclusively on unit single BSAs (three different sizes). About three years ago I bought a 24MD from a fellow racer. After a bit of sorting (read melted pistons) I was ready to move up to a Challenger. I contacted Kenny (bearingman) Sykes and he set me up with Darrell Meter, an ex-Nicholson employee. Three months ago I visited with Darrell and he dug through his barn and brought out one of Nick’s desert racing MX3’s for me. It was not quite all there, but a short time later I found about half of a MX5 for more parts. I was calmly working on the MX3 when I spotted a couple of MX6’s for sale locally. So, of course I brought them home. Anyway, the garage is strewn with enough Greeves stuff to keep me busy for awhile. When time permits, I’ll put some photos of these projects on my Web site www.spitfire-racing.com.
    Cheers,
    Dean Newton (wfo47w)
    Spitfire Racing Team
    Seattle, USA

Welcome!

Hi Dean, and a warm welcome aboard the forum.

It's great to have another of our friends in the USA join us on here, especially another long standing and experienced GRA member. Thanks for checking in, and for the link to your excellent website! Brilliant! I'll be having a good old browse on there for sure!

Looking forward to swapping a few posts and checking out those pics!

Enjoy the forum!

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by wfo47w View Post
      Thought I would check in from the Great Pacific Northwest of the US of A. I’m a lifelong crazed Anglophile and have been a member of the GRA for several years and enjoy reading the forum. I started my Greeves experience in 1969 when I bought a new 250 Griffon, which I raced for about a year. I have been competing in vintage motocross/scrambles for the last 25 years, almost exclusively on unit single BSAs (three different sizes). About three years ago I bought a 24MD from a fellow racer. After a bit of sorting (read melted pistons) I was ready to move up to a Challenger. I contacted Kenny (bearingman) Sykes and he set me up with Darrell Meter, an ex-Nicholson employee. Three months ago I visited with Darrell and he dug through his barn and brought out one of Nick’s desert racing MX3’s for me. It was not quite all there, but a short time later I found about half of a MX5 for more parts. I was calmly working on the MX3 when I spotted a couple of MX6’s for sale locally. So, of course I brought them home. Anyway, the garage is strewn with enough Greeves stuff to keep me busy for awhile. When time permits, I’ll put some photos of these projects on my Web site www.spitfire-racing.com.
      Cheers,
      Dean Newton (wfo47w)
      Spitfire Racing Team
      Seattle, USA
      Dean!!!

Welcome aboard! Bout time you checked in!

Dean...how about posting that pic of you on the Griffon...that front wheel landing one! Yikes!!

Kenny

Comment

Ahh....that sounds like the good old 'flying W' manoeuvre, or do you guys in the states call 'em 'endos'?! Hope you 'saved' it Dean!

Us Brits refer to these unfortunate ground/sky/ground/sky incidents as 'prangs', as I'm sure you'll be aware (amongst other names!!!!)

Hang on....that's a great idea for a new thread guys (with pics of course!)

Brian.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 24/07/2010, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
          Ahh....that sounds like the good old 'flying W' manoeuvre, or do you guys in the states call 'em 'endos'?! Hope you 'saved' it Dean!

Us Brits refer to these unfortunate ground/sky/ground/sky incidents as 'prangs', as I'm sure you'll be aware (amongst other names!!!!)

Brian.
          Brian,

Dean has a great collection of photos! Looking forward to more post from him.

As many of the Greeves motorcycles that were sold in the North America, you would think there would be more USA members, I think this forum will help and the GRA will grow from strength to strength.

Kenny

Comment

"I think this forum will help and the GRA will grow from strength to strength".

You are certainly right about that Kenny, but there may be others out there who would not agree????

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post

Brian.
              Brian,

It scares me just looking at it!

Bring it on Dean!

Kenny

Comment

Infamous Photo

Here's a link to the photo http://www.spitfire-racing.com/racing/advsrt/nwsrt.htm.
                Yes, the landing hurt. I guess the guy next to me knew what he was doing . . .

Cheers, Dean

Comment

Originally posted by wfo47w View Post
                  Here's a link to the photo http://www.spitfire-racing.com/racing/advsrt/nwsrt.htm.
                  Yes, the landing hurt. I guess the guy next to me knew what he was doing . . .

Cheers, Dean
                  Hi Dean!

What was the outcome? Change of leathers perhaps?

Who was the other Greeves rider? Anybody we know these days?

Kenny

Comment

Working...
                  X