New Member North London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member North London

Hi All, I am trying to get a road registration for a 1959 Greeves Scottish that has just been restored. Weirdly no engine number but frame is 60/1724

Anyone been through the process? Any tips?

Cheers Nick

Hi Ian welcome aboard. Your bike is a 24TCS, as for registering it you may find this thread answers your questions http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...tration+number
    As for engine number I am sure one of the members with a copy of the despatch records can tell you what the original engine number was. Blank engine serial number plates are available from Villiers Services, in fact I think they will stamp them up for you.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/05/2016, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Hi John,

Thanks for the helpful info. I have contacted Peter with a view to getting the dispatch record which may turn up the engine number and then allow me to get the original registration number or an age related plate.

Thanks

Nick

Comment

The engine number should be on the record. The original engine number is not crucial to the registration, but you will need one. Do you know what the original registration number is? If so a check on the DVLA web site will reveal if its on a V5. If so its just a simple matter of filling in form V62 & paying £25 to get a new V5c
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/05/2016, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Hi Peter

Unfortunately no idea of original registration. This bike was restored from the remains of a barn find thought to be an ex competition machine that may never have been on the road I believe.

I cant wait to see what the records turn up.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick OHare View Post
            Hi Peter

Unfortunately no idea of original registration. This bike was restored from the remains of a barn find thought to be an ex competition machine that may never have been on the road I believe.

I cant wait to see what the records turn up.

Nick
            Looks like it will have to be an age related number. It would almost certainly have been road registered from new as most trials involved road work back then. Always amazes me that reg documents & numbers have got lost in the myths of time, presumably after the bikes became obsolete & were sold/given away as field bikes only to appear years later as 'barn finds'

Comment

John - here's a thought but probably not a particularly sensible one! For the counties that retained their records, it should be possible to look in the right area based on the date the bike was despatched and working forwards. I know they were sometimes not registered for a while but it is a thought.

That bike was supplied in Barrow so it could have been an EO registration. If the records survive, would it not be possible to trawl through looking for Greeves?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                John - here's a thought but probably not a particularly sensible one! For the counties that retained their records, it should be possible to look in the right area based on the date the bike was dispatched and working forwards. I know they were sometimes not registered for a while but it is a thought.
                It is possible if the records are still extant at the relevant county archives, but it could mean a long protracted search if records are available for public viewing. It would also rely on the frame number being recorded, many counties did not, Essex did though. What county was the bike dispatched to? If its London no chance as all records were destroyed.

Comment

Hi John

The bike was sent to Barrow in Cumbria. I have tracked down the business name and ad a chat with the owner. They sell vans these days. However the original owner retired eight years ago and still keeps in touch, so have asked for him to get in touch with me to see if he still has any records. The longest of long shots but fascinating if he comes through!

Nick

Comment

Hi John

The bike was sent to Barrow in Cumbria. I have tracked down the business name and ad a chat with the owner. They sell vans these days. However the original owner retired eight years ago and still keeps in touch, so have asked for him to get in touch with me to see if he still has any records. The longest of long shots but fascinating if he comes through!

Nick
                    Looks like at least you may be able to get the reg number from the old boy, better still of he still has some documents, Barrow in Furness vehicle licencing records should be at
                    Barrow Archives & Local Study Centre, 140 Duke Street, Barrow in Furness LA14 1XW tel 01229 894363 http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/a...tres/balsc.asp
                    As you bike looks to been sold in 1960 number could have been EEO*** (March 1959 - Jan 1960); or FEO*** (Jan 1960 - Sept 1960) or GEO*** (Sept 1960 - June 1961)
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 10/05/2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

February 1960 so it could be in the FEO*** (Jan 1960 - Sept 1960) range. it would be fantastic if the records exist and the card could be found. Just a matter of finding someone in that area who knows how to work County Records Offices (or whatever posh name they have now!)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                        February 1960 so it could be in the FEO*** (Jan 1960 - Sept 1960) range. it would be fantastic if the records exist and the card could be found. Just a matter of finding someone in that area who knows how to work County Records Offices (or whatever posh name they have now!)
                        Been doing a bit of research on this one.
                        Its FEO 140 which has frame number 60/1724
                        Not taxed for road use is DVLA speak for not taxed.
                        So its on the DVLA computor, all you need to do Ian is get a V62 form fill it in & send the fee of £25. You will not need letter of authentication from the club. DVLA may want to send an inspector out to look at it depending upon what they here back from current Registered Keeper.
                        Lucky man, nice original number as well.

Registration number: FEO 140
                        Tax Not taxed for on road use
                        MOT No details held by DVLA
                        Vehicle details
                        Vehicle make GREEVES
                        Date of first registration 11 February 1960
                        Cylinder capacity (cc) 248cc
                        CO₂Emissions Not available
                        Fuel type PETROL
                        Export marker No
                        Vehicle status Tax not due
                        Vehicle colour NOT STATED
                        Vehicle type approval Not available
                        Wheelplan 2 WHEEL
                        Revenue weight Not available
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/05/2016, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Hi John

Wow! Fantastic piece of sleuthing. Thank you very much for this. I believe the previous owner was a farmer who had been using it as a farm bike but was essentially a frame and a big box of rusty bits before being beautifully restored by a guy who restores Vincents.

It wont be long before she is popping and smoking down the road!!

Cheers

Nick

Comment

Well! What a result! Might have known Super-Sleuth Wakefield would come up with the answer! Well done John!

The important point is that the V5 was there all the time, just lost with events.

Goes to show the value of belonging to the GRA and also, the value of the archives!

Let's hope the DVLA do not come up with any hurdles in actually getting that V5 sorted. Personally, I have always found them very helpful. It took them less than a week to change the registration on my TES from age-related back to the original number due to the original logbook existing.

Comment

Hi John

Wow! Fantastic piece of sleuthing. Thank you very much for this. I believe the previous owner was a farmer who had been using it as a farm bike but was essentially a frame and a big box of rusty bits before being beautifully restored by a guy who restores Vincents.

It wont be long before she is popping and smoking down the road!!

Cheers

Nick
                              Your welcome Nick, pleased to have helped, bit of luck that it is still on a dormant V5. How about some pics of the bike when you get the number re instated

Comment

Working...
                              X